Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A letter just dropped through y door asking for feedback. Here is mine:

"I hope the council considers the permanent closure of Wightman Road. Gradually commuters and long-distance drivers are realising they need to either use alternative main roads, or switch to public transport or cycling. The study shows that residents overwhelmingly do not own a car (61%), and prefer public transport, walking or cycling for their commute (82%)."

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 7065

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How does parking improve the High Street?

I don't completely understand this either. Unless the assumption is that all shoppers drive, which is an odd one in London.

"Why not make Wightman one-way, south to north, with a two-way cycle path. This would prevent cars going up the ladder to get on Endymion and also alleviate the congestion on Green a Lanes by distributing the traffic heading east or west."

Why not make Warwick Gardens one way, north to south, and remove the rising bollard? This would alleviate congestion at the Salisbury Road junction.

I thought you were opposed through traffic on residential roads?

That's correct Nick. There are some ways to reduce ratrunning by making Wightman one-way southbound, but Pat's suggestion to make it oneway northbound would encourage ratrunning (unless all the rungs were made oneway eastbound, ideally with a no-left-turn at the bottom but that wouldn't be practical).

I have no problem with that but the junction at GL and Stanhope would need to be sorted out asthmatic would be a congestion point. All Garden roads would also need to be made one way to cope with extra through traffic (there are daily altercations because the roads are not wide enough for two-way traffic.

Pat, I'll let you add this suggestion to the interactive map - in fact there is already a similar one to make Warwick Gardens oneway northbound but southbound is better.

However, I would rather we found ways to reduce Ladder traffic to Gardens levels rather than increase Gardens to Ladder levels.

JoeW, I am glad to see you 'would rather we found ways to reduce Ladder traffic to Gardens levels rather than increase Gardens to Ladder levels.' I understand that the bollards came about through a hard fought for campaign by residents and their removal would cause huge resentment and hostility leading to divisions in our community. As well as this surely the removal of this and other road closures would only serve to attract more traffic to the area!

The 38% is from the 2011 census. Each house only has space for at most one car outside, and many houses contain 2 or more households, so I think it's plausible. There could be more parking on Wightman if the island/chicanes were removed.

38% of residents owned cars in 2011 but nearly every house has a car, from the ad hoc view of parking I saw yesterday.
Don't think so Pat. Going from the top of my road (on my side)
1 car
1 car
No car
No car
No car
No car
No car
1 car
No car
No car
1 car
And they're the neighbours I know. I wonder how many of the cars parked on the road actually belong to people who live there?

Pat, your ad hoc view of Ladder parking coincided with the Wireless festival. I saw some kids piling into a car this morning at the top of Hewitt, they'd been staying with a friend or relative to be near the festival. I'm sure there would have been a good handful of spaces taken up on every rung and Wightman itself by visitors this weekend.

Also bear in mind there is no parking at all on one side of two or three blocks of Wightman, as National Grid are still trying to rectify the damage to gas services caused by decades of excessive traffic.

There are various numbers in the study findings that deserve critical investigation, but I don't think the 2011 Census car-ownership is one of them. I'm sure the rungs could accommodate a handful more parked cars in order to make Green Lanes parking-free.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service