Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I met Steve about a year ago when I tried to help point him in the right direction for finding a suitable premises for an organic cafe on Green Lanes.

Today, just a year later I got an email to say that all systems are go. Read about it here

Tags for Forum Posts: blend

Views: 5410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Soil Association is not a prosecuting authority. It's a club of like-minded believers. I have little doubt that in some science circles, the Soil Association are regarded as cranks.

"Organic" is fraudulent in a general sense, but there are cases of actual fraud. My farmer cousin told me of a shipment of battery farmed eggs (from Northern Ireland?) that was  passed off as "organic" because this label commands a price premium from some gullible customers. Naturally, consumers are none the wiser. (NB. I do not support battery egg production).

The Soil Association is a DEFRA recognised inspection body. Full list below

Approved Body
UK 2. Organic Farmers & Growers
UK 3. Scottish Organic Producers Association
UK 4. Organic Food Federation
UK 5. Soil Association Certification Ltd
UK 8. BioDynamic Agricultural Association
UK 7. Irish Organic Farmers and Growers Association Ltd
Food Certification (Scotland) Ltd
UK 9. Organic Trust Ltd
UK10. CMi Certification
UK 13. Quality Welsh Food Certification Ltd
UK 15. Asisco Ltd

The Soil Association is a DEFRA recognised inspection body

According to this Wikipedia article, The Ministry of Defence has confirmed that Scientology is "an officially recognised religion in the Royal Navy".

Some governments (though not the UK's) even recognise it as a religion and charity, with tax benefit for its commercial operations.

None of which necessarily makes it credible in everyone's eyes.

When the Soil Association become responsible for prosecutions under statutory regulations, I'll eat my hat!

What about Jedi Knights ? Is the sea-borne force with us ?

For the benefit of those who are not such cognoscenti, I ought to point out that John refers to my fellow countrymen and women, some 53,000 of whom reported in the last census that they were followers of the Jedi faith:

Jedi census phenomenon (Wikipedia)

with high concentration in the university town of Dunedin. Statistics NZ rather unsportingly declined to record Jedi as the second largest religion in the country.

The International Jedi Knight movement  (also Wikipedia)

The Soil Association is authorised to carry out work on behalf of DEFRA, don't think the Church of Scientology have the contract to pilot warships Clive!

Michael I'm sure your belief in the merits of "organic" are as sincerely held as those of Tom Cruise and John Travolta are about their own faith.

I'm surprised you haven't yet mentioned Prince Charles as another endorser of "organic".

However, in neither case am I persuaded nor inclined to convert. Good general advice from an HoL contributor (Pamish?) I read here a little while ago about foodstuffs, was to eat little, and mainly green.

Interesting, so you think the belief that the soil is a living thing is equitable to the belief that the Earth was the habitat of Thetans?
Just dig down into your garden a couple of centimetres and it's teeming with life. Do the same on an area of soul where pesticides are used and it's almost barren. Soil fertility depends on a good mix of organisms. There is no religion about this just hard scientific fact. Areas of farm land where pesticides have been use are biologically mono verse and open to attack by diseases. A real bio culture allows the good and the bad (your good might be my bad) to exist in balance. What's cultish about that.?

Michael, finally there is recognition of the sacred faith of so many of my countrymen. I trust you won't mock.

There was an interesting article on the Food Programme on Radio 4 yesterday that looked at food pricing in relation to the horse meat issue. In the early 70's the food bill accounted for 30% of average household spend and now it's 10%. As we expect cheaper food, we get cheaper food, in all its guises.

Perhaps it's not that the food is cheaper, but other things ( petrol, power, insurance, fares, housing) have got relatively more expensive ?

They were looking at the actual price of food adjusted to today's prices but you're right, as a proportion of household spend is impacted by the cost of other things too.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service