Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I met Steve about a year ago when I tried to help point him in the right direction for finding a suitable premises for an organic cafe on Green Lanes.

Today, just a year later I got an email to say that all systems are go. Read about it here

Tags for Forum Posts: blend

Views: 5410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps the dogs can eat the children?

Hi! We moved to the area about 9 months ago and I am beyond ecstatic to hear about an organic café opening. Any chance of organic/artisanal bread? Looking forward to it!

Will the heroin be of good quality? That's what most people will want to know.

Are you two on crack?

Just make sure it's free-range, organic and ethically farmed.

Neil, I don't eat organic food for the health benefits to me but rather that it's produced without the use of pesticides and artificial fertilisers so it's more about the health benefits to the environment.

But do we really need to eat premium organic to "save the environment". Surely there are environmentally friendly non-organic, modern farming techniques?

Er, yes. We don't need to eat organic, premium or otherwise to save the environment.

"Organic" is a food label that is normally devoid of definition, or at least, elastic. As far as I'm aware, it has no legal meaning, unlike say, weights and measures.

However, where you do see this description, you can normally be assured that it does mean one thing in particular: significantly higher price (I eschew so called "organic" for this reason, the fraud and the immorality).

If all food was produced according to some people's ideas of "organic", the world would starve. I regard most of the organic business as bordering on wickedness.

That's why I was very indifferent to see news about an "organic" cafe.

Neil, I don't think Linda & Steve are advertising as an "organic cafe".  Not strictly organic but slightly so, Linda said above, probably anticipating all the inevitable demands for organic-artisanal-bugaboo-dog-child-friendliness that followed, without which hollers Harringayonline wouldn't be Harringay. Isn't it time we had a proper greasy-spoon working-man's aytin' house round here?

Lemon breakfast fits the bill OAE.
The use of the term oganic in relation to food is defined. See the DEFRA website here
http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/growing/organic/consumers/faq.htm

Michael I appreciate that these "definitions" appears on a government website, but nevertheless they read as vague, elastic statements as a sop to "organic" interests and believers.

The "codes" are unenforceable aspirations. I'd be interested to know if any one of them has ever been enforced (I'm not calling for enforcement. It's pointless. They might as well say that food should be nice!).

Neil's link above also leads to Just What Does Organic Mean (BBC) that contains more useful, harder and relevant comment.

Yes, I know personally of one case on a farm near where I grew up. A neighbouring land owner used a herbicide spray which drifted on to the farmers land and his Soil Association certificate was revoked for 2 years.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service