Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Government Petition Website: EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum

Views: 4525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Leaving the website, leaving the EU, because he can't take a little bit of reason ;-)

That's tosh 'Fred' and well you know it.

I don't think the vote should be re-run. I see the petition as being (much like some saw the leave vote) a vehicle to express concern, fear, and unhappiness at the current state of affairs i.e. a PM who just suddenly bails on you or racists beating up old Polish people in the street because they think the country will agree with them.

I think painting everyone in London as being the 'metropolitan' elite when 37% of children in the capital live below the poverty line is very destructive. The Westminster set gleefully neglecting parts of the country so they can play public school games do not represent Londoners. Besides, isn't this a local London website?

Farage was certainly clear he wouldn't respect a 52/48 result so I don't see why the rest of us should.

Apparently, the petition was actually set up by a Leave supporter before the referendum so it was ready to roll when Remain won. You can't make it up...

Eh? I didn't say that. I said Farage thought a 52/48 result was too close to be authoritative and I agree with him.

But as you brought up the lies, are you denying that Leave claimed there would be £350M available to spend on the NHS and that immigration would be significantly reduced, or are you saying the 52% knew they were being lied to but didn't care?

Oh in principle I agree with you. I certainly don't agree with Stephen that the referendum should be ignored. It may not be legally binding, but to just ignore it is to betray the trust of the people who voted expecting to have their voices heard.

But this isn't something that can be undone by another vote in 4 years. If we ever did want to get back in we would almost certainly have a worse deal than we have today.

That, the level of deceit from the Leave campaign, the fact that they were almost immediately revealed to be swimming with no trunks on, the huge long term impact of the decision and the knowledge that the Leave campaign themselves placed the bar higher than the 52% they polled means right now I just don't think the referendum result is strong enough to justify triggering Article 50.

So, what I would like to see is a period where a Brexit plan is formulated with realistic proposals on key questions like EU and non EU trade deals, access to single market vs no EU laws, EU and non-EU immigration targets, public spending commitments, employment protections, the NI border, Calais and whether the UK will break up or join/leave together. This would then be put to a second referendum (could be a general election but I think best to avoid party lines and FPTP) where the realistic Brexit plan would be confirmed by the public.

The first referendum has asked "Should we leave?", the second would ask "Should we leave on these terms?".

It shouldn't have been necessary, but since Leave campaigned on a platform they could never deliver, the public must have a chance to reconsider Leave based on what can actually be achieved as opposed to a bag of wishful thinking.

Because at the end of the day, asking people to confirm their previous vote in no way takes away their democratic voice. If they still feel the same they will still vote the same, and with a much clearer view of what's ahead the hugely damaging uncertainty will be minimised. And if they don't, thank God we checked!

Personally, I don't think it should. Parliament should just continue as normal and vote against it. It's not binding. The problem with most of the #Brexit voters, they never read the small print. They were sold a lie.

Nick Clegg

Interesting view from Nick Clegg (the day before)

Great insight. Who would have thought the tories would do more economic damage to the United Kingdom than any other group in the world including ISIS.

If this was a Ben Elton paperback you just wouldn't believe it.

Yes, much of this was predicatable though he missed out on the effect of a Brexit vote emboldening racists with verbal and physical attacks on immigrants and their children being told they will now have to go 'home'.

If it wasn't so serious, you'd have to laugh.

Didn't the Remainers realise that with the polls wobbling back ad forth over the 50% mark that there was a distinct possibility the Leavers would win ?

The Remainers complain that the Referendum was flawed and unfair - would they have complained if they had won ?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service