Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Anyone else suffering at the moment with this problem? We have been fighting a losing battle with them in our garden. We can't keep them out, despite putting up barriers (they have dug under the fence.) They seem to have no fear, and if you confront them just retreat to a fence and wait. We have had to put up with fox poo in the garden every day, the remains of their meals on the lawn, shoes and toys left out are taken and chewed, bird feeders taken, pots and plants knocked over and destroyed and - this is the final straw! - decapitated our one and only sunflower.... It was unsupported so the head was near the ground. It was intact in the morning but by early afternoon the head was at the other end of the garden bitten in half. I can't imagine a cat or a squirrel could have done that, so the atrocity must have been a fox, and, worryingly, in the middle of the day.

Also been seen rolling around on the lawn, like a family pet. I'm beginning to get a bit worried about leaving the children (1 and 5) in the garden, and having seen one wonder into next door's kitchen, need to think about having the kitchen door closed.

I've seen from other threads that the council won't do anything about foxes but I am going to complain and ask as I think it is becoming a risk. Don't think I should have to keep my doors closed!  If anyone else is suffering the same level of problem maybe you could think about letting the council know too? 

Tags for Forum Posts: foxes

Views: 2292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Science also tells us that cats probably kill more human life than foxes ...

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1107.aspx?CategoryID=54#close

This does not say anything about toxo from cats. Yes it affects pregnancy (rarely) but in such cases is not contracted from a cat. Probably from undercooked meat.

Poor old Monsieur Reynard everyone has always and always will hate him

Oh dear, you have all got me feeling sorry for them..... Well,not quite. They're only here in so many numbers because of the squalor of the city so I'm not sure about the 'they were here first' argument.  Rather they're a product of city life, like rodents and pigeons.....just a bit prettier! It could be the fox who took down my sunflower was trying to eat healthily and boost his polyunsaturated fats, but more likely just a vandal. 

Seems like there's not going to be overwhelming support for a war against the foxes then.... 

We have had a bit of a problem on Pemberton with some t**ser dumping bags of butchered animal bones by the raised crossing. It happens randomly, and inconsistently. It sometimes happens middle of the day. I guess they are driving by and stop, toss the bag out and off-ski.

Sadly, the foxes get to them (as you might imagine they would) and the next morning the bag is torn to bits with bloody bones and gore spread over the path right outside the passage and school gate. I found myself out one Sunday with rubber gloves picking up bones and gore, scrubbing the path with bleach just before the Market to try to clean the path before folks had to walk over it. 

I've reported it to the council, but if anyone sees anything looking like a bag being dumped out of the car/van please take a note and let me know and I can pass it on!

I totally sympathise, I have two small children and don't want foxes or cats in my garden either...the sunflower was probably beheaded by squirrels, they got all of mine, I caught one in the act!

when we bought our house the garden was overgrown and neglected. It seems that all the local cats and foxes were using it as their personal toilet.

Foxes in particular leave a terrible smell. What has actually worked has been to remove the poo on a daily basis wash the area with biological washing liquid and scatter the garden liberally with get off my lawn:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Off-Repellent-Scatter-Crystals/dp/B000L...

The biological washing liquid removes their scent so they don't come back to mark their territory. If they do the get off my lawn stuff seems to deter them. It's taken a while but it seems to be working...anyone got any tips for squirrel proofing sunflowers?

Whats the issue with your children and cats in your garden?! Maybe you should consider living on the moon. 

I think the last part of your comment is not especially reasonable which is a shame as I have seen you have made some well made points in other threads! Maybe we do not all want other folks cats crapping in our garden's Rebecca. Not an unreasonable position to take, would you agree?

I know Jerry mention the risks from toxoplasmosis earlier in this thread, but I did actually know someone who was going slowly and agonisingly blind (she was in her early 20's and already had considerably sight loss) as a result of toxoplasmosis. I know it is rare, but...

It was in jest, as I was confused as to why there was such a fearful tone about the link between having young children and cats in the garden. I think is just sounded a bit silly. In terms of cat poo there are lots of cat-friendly deterrents that are available but its really up to the owners to provide litter trays for their cats to prevent them going outside so much. 

My 3 litter trays are frequently used by my cats so I'm sure my neighbours are pleased.  

Ah, the joys of online communication, apologies then! I shall get off my high horse.

I suspect if you have a garden that is constantly used as a litter try by wandering cats the link is apparent. We have lost of cats in our garden which I am ambivalent too (the kids like seeing them though). So far they have avoided crapping everywhere- but our neighbour recently had piles of the stuff in hers... Nice!

I don't want my 1yr old crawling though the piles of shit they leave in my garden or my 3yr old walking through it for completely obvious reasons. 

I presume you have a cat...

Always find it quite strange that many cat owners assume it's ok for their cats to wander round other people's gardens, crapping and killing birds and other creatures. If you own a cat you keep it at home or in your garden. Would it be ok if a neighbours dog was in your garden, or even their children? Cats are not wild animals. They are an alien species that enjoy the protection of their owners so don't even have to forage for food. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service