Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Delete as appropriate.

Views: 2347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree about the criticisms of Emine. It was part of the off-topic discussion that was deleted.

I was talking about this thread.

I agree with you again, ant.

I'm not quite sure what you're agreeing with here Clive. I wonder if you are.

Yes, you may have been, Ant, but I was replying to Clive. I'll reply to your post later when I get home.

Tris, following Ant's comments about your Finsbury Park thread, I'll be responding with my view on that issue when I've had a chance to read it. 

With regards to your view on councillors posting on local forums, I disagree with you, I'm afraid. For me, one of the best examples of a councillor using a local forum was James Barber in East Dulwich, He followed the example of a local BR station manager who used his local forum to gather 'customer' feedback. James developed the habit of using his local forum for 'gathering casework'. As is the case with most councillors who use any local forum, he had to earn his spurs. His first few months were pretty bloody, but when people realised that he was listening and acting on what he heard, everything changed. After a while, any unreasonable criticism was met by a stout defence from other members.

I think the previous batch of councillors in Harringay used HoL pretty well and rarely got unfairly treated. As a result of their using HoL, I and many other people had a fair idea that our representatives were around and working on our behalf. I have no idea what any of our current local councillors is now doing. Do you?

You can hear James describing his experience below in an edited interview I did with him a few years ago: 

Ant, I'll have a read of the thread you're concerned about when I get a chance and come back to you on that. In the meantime, can you explain to me what you find shocking about the thread so I can bear that in mind as I read?

With regards to my removal of posts on the shooting thread, could you explain why you think the reasoning for removing the comments from the shooting thread was trivial? (Did you see the comments that were removed by the way?).

Not deleted by us, no.

I don't know about this particular post, FPR.  But a few times a post of mine has disappeared. 

The first couple of times this happened, it seemed to be when I posted a slightly altered second version of something after I realised too late that it had serious errors. Perhaps a typo which made nonsense of part of it. Or something which was plain wrong. I deleted the older post, and the newer one also vanished.

As I recall, another way things vanish may be when the originator of a discussion deletes the whole thread.

Same has happened to me a couple of times when I've posted something, realised there were errors (like apostrophes Philip), edited it and then reposted it. Checking in later it had gone. I thought it was because I use an iPad or phone to post (Apple products seem to do random things occasionally). Also happens if I post something and come out of the page before I'm certain it's uploaded. Again I think this might be an Apple thing.

I posted a few months ago, uncontroversially I thought, and then found it had disappeared too. A couple of days later posted again, different thread, happened to watch the process and the rotating 'timer' symbol for 'doing things' just kept on rotating - for five minutes. So you've done all the posting actions, you haven't got a 'can't post' message, but your post never makes it and you think it's been deleted. First time round I said the admins had done it, they huffed they hadn't - regretted/regrettable red faces all round.

Same thing Gordon. I sometimes get this rotating timer that just keeps on rotating. I thought it was my rubbish internet connection. Hugh, could this be happening at busy times when a few people are all trying to post at the same time?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service