Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

From the Haringey Council website

Plans to build 10 new five-a-side football pitches in Finsbury Park are to be put out for public consultation.

If approved, the pitches would be set up at the tarmac area close to the Endymion Road entrance.

Apart from the pitches, there would also be floodlighting, a new changing pavilion and parking spaces. It is anticipated that there would be free or subsidised use of the pitches during off-peak hours.

With that odd logic that governs the council website, they do not appear to have put a link to the actual consultation info, but have no fear, I have tracked it down and you can read it here

Consultation appears to be by having 2 'open days' and inviting emailed comments on the proposal.

Tags for Forum Posts: consultation, finsbury park, finsbury park 5 a side, parks, sport

Views: 386

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

How can they have meaningful consultation when we don't know what to consult about ?
Maybe this explains it?
Attachments:
Bushy, great cartoon - it's been at the top of our planning page for the last year.
From the sports hub officer? So that rules out allotments I guess.
Can I just point out that many, many people drive to Finsbury Park at present, usually parents going to the park and cafe. There's also the gym, the athletics track, American football, softball & baseball, tennis, skateboaring, and that's doesn't even count the non organised events. I cant remember any fury when the tennis courts were modernised with increased traffic? Would you ask the tennis players to play in the road on a slope using a couple of deck chairs for the nets?

Increased variety and usage would be advantage in my opinion as it isn't catered for at the moment, we can't be all inclusive for all then emit something we don't like. An astro turf level, multi purpose facility would enhance the usage of the park. We don't want more car parking facilities, a leisure club with a smoothy and lager bar or a third party company ripping off the locals on civic land, but I do want better facilities.

If we want our children to be active, then surely we must provide good facilities. Unless we rebuild Wembley with a pitch on a nine degree slope, no markings and moveable goals from pinched traffic cones, we've got no hope in wining the World Cup in 2018, should we get it.
"No ball games" signs on estates are the reason Britain does not do as well at football as it should. The top teams in the world do not have these signs. They also do not have universally available 5-a-side pitches. Tennis does actually require a flat court.

We don't want more car parking facilities, a leisure club with a smoothy and lager bar or a third party company ripping off the locals on civic land.

Is exactly right.
The reason Britain doesn't do well at football is nothing to do with facilities - if it was, then why are Brazil and Argentina 2 of the best teams of the last 30 years? Are you telling me Ronaldo, Pele, Robinho, Messi, Maradona et al. all had access to state-of-the-art pitches at a young age?

Secondly, Birdy, you're right - many people do drive to Finsbury Park and that's all the more reason not to increase the number (and actively encourage them to do so by providing a further 80 car park spaces). And I don't believe that the number who drive now have the same hourly turnaround that would result from 10 5-a-side pitches and 80 spaces. Finsbury Park is fantastically well served by public transport - two tube stations, 3 train stations (2 on separate lines) and numerous buses passing by. None of the activities you cite resulted in increased parking spaces - they were about maximising the usage of the park - and so far as I am aware, none of them are run on a commercial basis (and most are free).

Mark Whitehead put it perfectly - mark out some pitches then people can play for nothing.
The measurements for five a side pitches is nor more than 60m nor less than 45m and its breadth no more than 40m nor less than 26m.

I have marked out eight pitches at minimum size, no facilitating buildings or car parking. As you can see it's a squeeze unless they are thinking of using the land to the north (bottom left on image below) or encroaching either side ie path and trees. Six good size pitches would fit there lovely with changing and shower facilities, no parking, no bar, yes please.

Just out of interest how do the tennis courts operate in FP, ie payment, booking etc?
Attachments:
From what I've heard, when they first brought in the tennis courts, they tried to have a payment system with machines issuing tickets. It was either ignored or broken so I believe they have taken it away again now and, amazingly, people form an orderly queue and wait til a court becomes free. Seems to work.
That would be perfect in my eyes, but the council would have to cough up which I very much doubt they would do. Haringey council's priorities seem to be with raising revenue and not providing services.
I think a much better spot for a commercial 5-a-side football venture would be here. Not so good for public transport is the only minus I can think of.
Ha ha, that's an old map. Mary Neuner (sp) Road now goes through there and your beloved Heartlands High!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service