Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Yesterday morning was the first time Veolia were due to empty my new massive recycling bin. Did they manage? No. They emptied the food recycling bin, and did not touch the new green one.

Have reported it, hopefully they'll come back and sort it.

Anyone else had this problem yet? Seems they don't know they have to empty them now, they're no used to them being there with nothing in them..

Tags for Forum Posts: new recycling bins, veolia

Views: 1213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ours was the 19th.

I would guess that the dates are staggered to work in with the normal collection dates and also the distribution of the bins or collection bags.  The distribution of bins and bags in itself must be quite a complicated and time consuming job. 

I would give the whole process a month to settle in. 

Haven't been issued with a new bin yet - N15 ?! 

Ours was emptied yesterday, but they left the place in a proper mess. As well as our own bins being scattered across our entrance path, we had both our neighbours' green recycling crates in our garden, also just randomly slung back in. I know Veoilia say they havent time to put bins back where they find them - they just put them back on the property - but this royally irks me.

Yeah I watched them this morning, they really chuck stuff all over the place and don't make much effort to fully empty each bin, or pick up any stray debris that falls on the street as they rattle through. It does seem rather ironic that rubbish collection would result in more rubbish on the street, whereas before it was contained in the proper receptacles. I guess it does leave work for the Veoilia street cleaners to do... 

Yeh, I got the hump in Feb when a load of food waste was left outside my house and I had to clear it up- I might have been marginally less bothered if it had even been mine.

I contacted Veolia- Jf.Moreau@veolia.co.uk, Jean Francios. He is the Veolia contract manager for Harringay. To be fair to him and the Veolia team I think they do care about stuff like this and it is hard to police every bin man, so they somewhat rely on us telling them if they have got it wrong. Drop him a line and let him know the problem.

I think it is important to inform Veolia when they get things wrong. sadly Im guilty of not telling them when they get things right. Generally I think we have an excellent recycling service, ( ask your friends in other boroughs) We have to do very little sorting and almost everything gets collected!. When I forget to put the bins out in a convenient place the Bin People come into the front garden and remove the bin from where it is hiding behind a tree! I even expericecd a bin lorry pulling into a gap in parked cars to let traffic go buy. added to this the staff at the Refuse and Recycling Centre are excellent kind and helpful. One summer I visited the site so manny times in one day as I was attempting to clear out my cellar that I was offered a cup of tea. added to this Street sweeping seems to have got a lot better. It taks a special kind of person who is able to have the strength and peronal resilience to clean up other peoples avoidable mess all day and our street sweepers are generally kind polite and cheerful people, this in itself is a tremendous achievment, well beyond my own capabilities.

So there may be teething problems and there will always be ongoing issues but overall I think we have a valuable service opporated by valuabe people.

Niall

This is not about and never will be about the people working on the ground who do an amazing job (the cleaner who sorted out the apocalyptic dog shit on my street and left not a trace deserved a medal never mind employee of the week).  J-F is a very hardworking man who is indeed a valuable person. Equally the aspirations for recycling in this borough are commendably high and I for one will do my damnedest to help them achieve those goals.

However, Veolia is a multinational billion dollar company fulfilling a contract and paid by you and me. Therefore, we are entitled to scrutinise the systems, ask questions and make complaints to those whose job it is to ensure that we get value for money such as cabinet members and high ranking council officials as well as bosses at the company. We need openness, honesty and a willingness to learn but what we get all too often is dismissed and ignored instead of worked with to ensure the system works. This roll out needed a lot more engagement pre roll out not just a leaflet and a postcard through the door. It is the nature of people to give up very quickly if they feel something isn't working, we don't want to lose people before it even starts because processes are rushed and lessons are not learned.

I agree with you we should have high expectations and demand to be heard and respected. I also recognise your coment was not about the individauls on the ground and I am pleased that you have raised the issues. My point was that whilst we should expect an excellent service and we should raise issues we also need to say what is going well. I know that most of the time I am more likely to raise an issue when somthing is not going well, especially when  a privitised company is taking vast amounts of public money but I do think that we need to find  away of expressing value when thing go well and a way of valuing those individuals who do outstanding work. I know that Im less likely to conntact Veolia when my bin has been collected from behind a tree when it could have been left.

Niall

I agree wholeheartedly with the notion that we should value the good more and celebrate the work of individuals. HOL is a vehicle for doing that. Here's an example on the site of Hugh doing just that which I tweeted on to Veolia. I also tweeted my admiration for aforementioned street cleaner and the dog poo. Here's a celebration of a system that performed well and responded quickly. It may be helpful for Veolia/LBH to build in a mechanism whereby such nominations of excellence can be easily communicated although I have used the WOW awards in the past to let someone know that I appreciated their work. Perhaps I should make it a more regular habit.

A very simple thing is to acknowledge and - if you have time - speak to people who are doing the 'dirty' jobs. Street cleaners are an obvious example. If your road is looking good today, then say so. From time to time I've learned more by talking to cleaners or people on the collecting lorries about a particular problem, than by asking their managers.

Years ago some friends of mine were "training" staff in a cafeteria in Heathrow. The staff told them the worst part of the job was feeling like an invisible non-person; customers completely ignoring them as they cleared tables, swept floors etc.

Can be done if you actually see them around but often they work at times of the day when you're not around or you're not sure who did the work. Still possible to acknowledge though in other ways.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service