Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Sunshine & 18 degrees max today. Stalls: 116. More food. More live music. Two stages. Kids crafts. Open 12 noon - 6pm.

9 months in the planning.

The people making it happen and street scene 8am Sunday 18th Sept 2011 (click on images for detail if you want);

[ NOTE: Now other post festival chat & photos being added as well ]

Rob Chau; event organiser (Harringay Traders)

Shef Mehmet; event organiser (Harringay Traders)

Andy Newman; event organiser (Garden Residents Assoc or GRA)

Local police

Veolia cleaners

' V ' = volunteer (ie. no pay!) Some are council employees

Volunteers

Rob Chau's sister, helping out (with list of 116 stalls). Rob's wife and son were also helping out this morning.

Local resident (of 35 years!) Pemberton Rd

Looking North (outside Railway Fields)

Salisbury stage; programme of events

Old Ale Emporium stage; programme of events

There's a 'green' angle to this year's festival (as well as food and music). Hand prints from local school children. School choir singing Salisbury stage later.

Tags for Forum Posts: Festival, Harringay

Views: 4189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rob Chau asked for thoughts at the end of the day, compared to 2009.  '500%' better !! The local shops got it this time. :)
I shot off a few snaps. Best to view the set on Flickr. [Sadly all a bit washed out looking since someone I lent my camera to changed the colourspace settings, I just discovered, and I didn't notice :o( ]

Festival 30 mins after opening
Excellent photos Hugh. Reflect a really diverse Harringay/Haringey at peace with itself. Lots of fun.

I guess this is going to be very unpopular but, while appreciating the efforts of everybody who set up and ran the Festival, I didn't think it was as good as the first one. Maybe it's just second-time-around syndrome. where the repeat is never as good as the first time, but somehow the gaiety and excitement was lacking. Where were the clowns and street musicians ? Last time there was music from one end to the other but all I saw yesterday was one young lad playing a ukelele. Where was the man on stilts? Where were the two mustachioed Edwardians on bikes ?

Was I just there at the wrong time ( 2 pm ) ?

I thought it was fantastic! So much better than last time - much more food on offer, local shops and restaurants really made the most of festival by firing up their charcoal pits and setting out their stalls properly. It was a real festival of food this time with a good range of international cuisine on offer. The last one seemed to be an excuse for some of the pound shops to hawk their rubbish on the pavement!

I was really impressed this time and congratulations to all who put so much effort into making it a success. Well done!

I dont feel a stall selling satellite dishes shouod be at food festival.

Ther we some other somewaht 'dubious' stalls but overall it was better than the last. I Feel it should occure earlier in the summer though.

Thank goodness the weather held out (more or less) as the forecast was not so good. I thought the festival was superbly well-organised, very well-attended despite clashing with the "One" festival in Hackney/Stoke Newington, and that all the local restaurants and shops made a huge effort to make it a great success.

I have two requests for next time: even more chairs and tables out on the street, as it's hard to eat walking along through crowds, and a timetable of performances on display by each stage - I left my programme at home and couldn't seem to find out who was playing at any given time.

Another photoset from Ian Walsh here.
Excellent close-up and food shots by Ian. Shows just how much variety there was!

Great sets of pics popping up on here. Will try not to repeat Hugh & Ian's too much;

'Pick noses, not fights'

Tottenham Gospel Choir (OAE stage)

Band member from Banjaxed, who played an excellent set on the Salisbury Stage

End of day shopping?

Blue sky worship

Smokin'

Thirsty for coconut

MP Lammy pops by, 5pm

Happy couple; Rob Chau (Traders Assoc) & Nora Mulready (organised all the music !) 5pm back stage

Rain, a little later but the show goes on;

Last act, The Popes

Home time

GL almost never shuts

Lights out; 8:30pm

green lanes festival: a good idea but poorly executed ie drab
I'd be interested to understand what you mean by 'drab' and to get your suggestions for how to improve. I am due to attend an evaluation meeting in about a month and am always happy to take forward ideas for how to get better. Much of what happened this year was based upon suggestions from people two years ago on how we could improve from the first festival. The festival is only in its second year and is run almost entirely by volunteers and goodwill on a shoestring budget, but the organisers are more than happy to learn from others.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service