Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Within the context of a story on the 'restaurantisation' of London's high streets, the Evening Standard has picked up on the story of the planning application by the new restaurant on Green Lanes.

They want to take a photo of a group of objectors for inclusion in the piece and are asking for local people who objected to take part.

Reporter Natasha Salmon and an ES photographer will be at the Bottom of Pemberton Road this evening at 7PM and have requested as many people as possible to make their way there. Look for someone with a camera!

You can contact Natasha on natashasalmon@gmail.com.

Tags for Forum Posts: fairline

Views: 4840

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm going to eat there as I really like all these restaurants with their fashionable decor and planters outside but, I won't be paying the bill...
Do you have a voucher code? Are they date limited? From where do I get one?
No I won't be paying the bill because they don't care about the law.
I was trying to be ironic-sorry clearly failed.

Hi POTUS

Let me set the record straight.

I am one of the ward councillors for Harringay ward. I objected to the planning application and my objection is posted along with all the other objections. 

Best wishes

Zena

Zena Brabazon

Cllr, Harringay ward

Hi Zena.

I voted for you and am fully aware that you objected

I was taking about the St Anns councillor Ali Ozbek. Honestly it is very worrying when an "elected" councillor turns a blind eye to illegal trading.
Just another perspective. Wasn't long ago that we were petitioning against betting shops on green lanes. Is it not a good thing that people are now coming to Manor House for a night out at little Istanbul? My family and friends love it and considering when I first moved here almost 15 years ago, people would never come, I think the restaurants are a change for the better. Also regeneration professionals are citing Green Lanes a success story.
But haven't these owners broken the law?

I wouldn't disagree that Harringay's high street has improved a lot over the past two decades and I'm a great supporter of most of the change. However, it doesn't follow that multiplying the proprtion of one type of business will create a better result. In my view a great high street is a thriving and diverse collection of businesses that compliment one another. It's a finely judged call to decide when one type of business is dominating too much.

There is also the question of respect for law. Planning law is there to try and ensure that our neighbourhoods develop as places that are good places in which to live. It's far from perfect, but it's all we have. So whether it's the council, businesses or citizens seeking to flout the law, it is right that they are challenged and required follow the law like the vast majority of us do.

Absolutely, although the standard rarely do anything investigative. Could you imaging how Mr Ozbek and the TA would behave if we chose to break the law in their premises. And why the hell have the Labour Party seemingly condoned Ozbek for not just ignoring but backing up illegal trading? It's a shame, a scam and stinks of corruption.
Just a thought. Why don't we draft a letter to the Standard?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service