Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Ending of Haringey Daily Visitor Permits to increase daily visitor parking charge by 164%

A parking review consultation run quietly at the start of the year seems to have been so little publicised that it attracted just 42 responses (augmented with another 58 garnered by phone).

The change it included that residents may feel most keenly is the abolition of daily visitor permits.

Currently Haringey's website gives the following prices for visitor permits:

Standard daily visitor permits are £5 and hourly are £1.20. 

The "Parking Strategy and Policy/Charges Review, Appendix D: Updated parking permit policy / charges" shares the expectation that residents will henceforth be expected to make up a day's parking permit with hourly permits. For the Ladder where the CPZ runs from 08:00 to 18:30, this will require eleven hourly permits to make up a full day. If the hourly charge remains at £1.20, this will mean a total daily cost of £13.20, an increase of a mere 164%. The cutting below is extracted from that Appendix.

It's not clear to me why hourly permits should be less open to abuse than daily ones, but I'm all ears.  If the primary motivation for this change was indeed to counter permit abuse, one would have thought it a fairly easy matter to protect residents from the affects of standing up to the abuse by simply putting a cap on daily charges like London Transport do. As far as I can make out, this hasn't happened.

At section 4.1 of the background papers (attached below), the Council has gone to the trouble of benchmarking the cost of daily business visitor permits. That's helpful. They looked at Camden, Islington, Ealing, Greenwich and Waltham Forest.

For some reason, no benchmarking was done on the cost of daily resident visitor parking costs. I've done my best to fill that gap. I've used the same boroughs and added Hackney since that was a missing neighbouring borough.

The current cost for a visitor to park in CPZ of those six boroughs for a day are as follows.

Camden: £8.79

Islington: £7.20 - £8.00 (on my calculationat £0.90 and £1.00 per hour)) discounted to £2.80 for 60+

Greenwich: Tradesmen £18.50 per week, and £9 per 10 vouchers (no information on time period validity)

Waltham Forest: £8.00 (at £1.00 per hour)

Hackney: £5.30.......................

...................vs Haringey: £13.20

....unless of course I'm misunderstanding Haringey's policy - only too happy to be set straight. 

As part of the review, an Equality Impact Assessment (EIA) was run. As a part of that assessment, equality as it relates to socio-economic status was considered. In the case of the daily parking permits, the situation roughly divides the east of the borough, with all its indicators of deprivation, from the much wealthier west. In the west, two-hour CPZ predominate: in the east >8 hour zones are the rule. The shift from daily to hourly permits will barely affect the west of the borough, whereas it will have a significant impact on the east. The only outcomes noted under the socio-economic section of the EIA are "Positive", "Positive" and ... er ... "Positive". The unequal nature of the daily parking charge was not even considered. So the EIA as it relates to socio-economic status is badly flawed.

The change was part of a wider Parking strategy review that was passed by the Council last week. The recommendations of the review were adopted without dissent (see minute 48:30 of meeting on YouTube).

This change is unlikely to affect me personally but I fear that it may have an impact on some who are not is a strong position to absorb the increased charges. 

Tags for Forum Posts: daily parking permits, parking, visitor parking, visitor parking permits

Views: 12241

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Hugh, 

Thanks for these helpful follow-up points on. 

• On the equality impact assessment (EIA), I will check in with Mark again. Perhaps I misunderstood the point he was making - if so, I do apologise. I suspect the point he was trying to make was that a more comprehensive EIA would take place after the statutory consultation, once the Council has a clearer view of the options it wishes to pursue. 
  • I will double check that the correct consultation process was followed. 
  • On your last point, as I mention above, I completely agree with you that this evidence should be recorded, rather than presented as anecdotal evidence. I merely wanted to share some of the context provided to us in the meeting on the content of these anecdotes on parking permit misuse and how these anecdotes came to the attention of the parking policy team. 

To reiterate, it has been made crystal clear to me that the most effective channel residents can use to influence this policy decision is the statutory consultation. I will therefore be making a submission to that consultation and would strongly encourage residents who have strong views on this proposed change to parking permit policy to do the same. I will keep an eye on the consultation page and post the link here when the statutory consultation goes live. 

Best, 

Anna

I don't like being told to 'wait for the statutory consultation' without any information as to how/when/where we will either see or be able to comment on the proposal - after all the last 'public consultation' was slipped in under the radar when it should have been sent out to all residents who will be affected.

Are no letters sent to councillors in the meantime going to count as comments?

You can see the proposal now, Maddy. I added the relevant part of the cabinet paper at the bottom of  my original post (see above). You will have a chance to belatedly comment on it post-decision soon, but, please be clear, Maddy, you haven't missed the consultation. There has been no proper consultation. A process that is clearly outlined in  Council's 2023 "Parking Schemes – Resident Engagement Policy" has been completely skipped and replaced with evidential hearsay.

The Council is now promoting two myths:

Myth 1 - that no decision has been taken

The Council is saying, and as you can see from this page is telling our councillors, that no decision has been taken. That is untrue. The cabinet made its decision to approve the policy and moved on (or so it thought). The poicy was voted on by a show-of-hands and unanimously approved "subject to statutory consultation". Any further decisions following the statutory consultation are now formally in the hands of delegated officers with no direct democtraic accountability. 

Myth 2 - that resident consultation will happen through the statutory consultation

The Council is now attempting to present the statutory consultation as resident consultation. They are not the same thing. The Council's own Resident Engagement Policy says "Statutory consultation forms part of the legal process ... It is, therefore, not consultation or engagement with the community".

Resident consultations are the vehicle by which councils test that their proposals meet resident approval and give residents the chance to influence policies BEFORE a decision is taken. Statutory consultations are the legally required last quick check run AFTER a decision has been taken. As such they normally only last 21 days. Whereas, according to the Local Government Association, best practice resident consultations last from between twice to four times that length of time to allow residents the opportunity to give real voice to their opinions. The Government's Code of Practice on non-statutory consultations says that they "should normally last for at least 12 weeks with consideration given to longer timescales where feasible and sensible". Let's see how long THIS statutory consultation is set to last.

Having said all that, all is not lost. As I've said before, my hope is that the Council will take note that residents have spotted and challenged this badly mishandled charge increase and even though they have formally delegated powers to officers now, that they will think twice and use back-channels to stop those officers from just rubber-stamping the decision. My hope is that the Council may be inclined to run an atypically long statutory consultation and pay unusually close attention to all responses and so use it to replace the consultation gap their process has left up to date. So, whether you support or oppose this charge increase, it is important that you respond to the statutory consultation - then keep your fingers crossed that it's not too little too late.

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for posting your very considered response. As Anna has set out, we met last week about the proposals. Anna has given a very full report of our meeting. Your follow up points are very clear and I have noted them and there are some very clear learning points. But now we are where we are. The crucial thing is that everyone who has written to us, or who has posted on HoL, responds to the formal consultation process, even just cutting and pasting what you've already said so it is formally recorded.

The parking permits consultation is on the agenda for the LCSP meeting tomorrow so I suspect we we will be having a full discussion about the whole thing there! 

Zena

Zena Brabazon
Cllr, Harringay ward

Great to see our Harringay councillors being so engaged and proactive on this issue - a proposal that if implemented would cause unnecessary financial hardship to residents/constituents throughout the East of the borough.

I remain of the view that the original proposal was not properly researched or its implications thought through before going to Cabinet. If it had, I am confident it would have been rejected as ‘not fit for purpose’- for all the reasons laid out in this thread.

My main concern at this stage is that the proposed ‘consultation’ will be simplistic and binary - do you agree or not. Given the imperative for the council to ‘balance the books’ on Parking, we may then face the TINA (there is no alternative) response. In fact there are many ideas expressed here and elsewhere on how to deal with the issues that gave rise to this proposal - particularly if they are accurately identified and quantified, rather than anecdotal.

Can we ask our councillors to follow through on the content of the consultation so that it gives real data on the nature and extent of Daily Pass misuse and at least identifies other solutions to this widely discredited proposal?

Niall you refer to the "the imperative for the council to ‘balance the books on Parking"...

I'm many years out of date on this particular legal framework. When a Labour councillor, I took-up cases of local residents who'd been unfairly and - in a few cases illegally - penalised by Haringey. At the time, my view - reported publicly - was that this was a type of highway robbery.

It seemed to me that our (and my) elected Council used Penalty Charge Notices (|PCNs) as a handy means of running a profit-making business.  My understanding then was that councils were not permitted to run their Parking accounts at a loss; but were entitled to apply any surplus to transport related purposes. But this was not the primary purpose of the legislation. Laws change of course and I may be way out of date.

Also at that time, I had very helpful contacts with a Barnet resident, Derek Dishman, blogging as Mr Mustard as a hobby.  I just looked him up and not only is he still active but his latest reported "case" shows Haringey up to their bad old shameful ways: going for the money instead of giving a sympathetic service and properly considering the mitigating circumstances when first presented; then cancelling the PCN. 

Niall, I thought you might want to make contact with Derek. https://lbbspending.blogspot.com/

Best wishes, Alan.

If anyone wants to read about the recent Haringey driver advised by Mr Mustard, it was on 10 September 2024 and headed:
Persistence pays - all councils, not just Haringey
~~~~~~~

More links to Mr Mustard online:

Mr Mustard (mrmustard@zoho.com)
This morning I also spent an informative and entertaining twenty minutes or so reading some of his old posts on Twitter (when that site was still alive.)
https://x.com/_mrmustard

One feature of Derek's posts is that he's ready to acknowledge when some borough's Parking Service delivers a policy or takes a decision which is fair, balanced and respectful of how ordinary residents actually want to live their lives. When that happens Mr Mustard may step forward and invite them: "to take a bow.

Thank you both.

Still a little perplexed - having gone through CPZ consultations from the first Crouch End scheme in only 2 roads (because Islington has introduced one on Mountview Road) through to the implementation of Crouch End A & B and then having to get Hornsey Vale added to Stroud Green because of the insanity of being the last bit south of Tottenham Lane to have a CPZ the Statutory Consultation was the stage AFTER the initial consultation process where the final scheme as agreed was put out to statutory consultation to make sure that there were no legal problems with the implementation.  It would seem that Haringey are now doing away with an initial consultation and moving directly to Statutory Consultation, maybe hoping no-one will notice?  Usual consultation run for 6 to 12 weeks with public engagement, statutory usually lasts 21 days and is publicised on lamp-posts and web-page as explained by the councillors - it is not the same thing...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service