Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Don't Forget - Wightman Road Closed for 5 months from Next Tuesday (29th March)

In case it's escaped your notice or slipped your mind, Wightman Road will be closed to through traffic for five months starting next Tuesday 29th March.

This will be a significant dislocation to North London traffic movement. So much so that warning notices have been placed as far away as Archway. No doubt it will also have a significant impact on Harringay's traffic.

However, there really is no alternative to at least partial road closure. The railway bridge between Alroy and Wightman roads is being replaced and there will simply be no road for a few months!

One option the Council could have taken would have been to simply reroute the traffic via the Ladder rung roads. It is to their credit, however, they recognised that with over 16,000  vehicles a day using Wightman Road, this would have placed an intolerable burden on our narrow residential roads, already beset by undue traffic volumes.

After consultation with residents, the solution decided upon is to place blocks at regular intervals along Wightman Road, in effect creating clusters of two or three rung roads. Whilst this will retain unfettered access for residents. it will render the whole Ladder, including Wightman, useless as a rat run. You can clearly see the details on the full size pdf map attached below.

Quite what it will mean for traffic in Harringay, Haringey and further afield remains to be seen. Those of us who have been working with the Council on this very much hope that traffic will quickly find other routes. It's fair to say, however, that at very best, we're going to experience some very heavy congestion on Green Lanes for a month or so. 

At the same time, the Harringay traffic study will continue. The coincident timing of this piece of work with the bridge closure may be fortunate in that it will give the consultants an opportunity to study the outcome of diverting traffic away from Harringay. 

A pdf copy of the Wightman Road closure is attached, along with some Council-produced documentation. You can stay up to date with what's happening on the Wightman Road closure on a dedicated page on the council website here.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 33782

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hear hear! However I must take issue with this Karen: "push all their parking on to the ladder roads which are under pressure already". Take a walk down one of the ladder roads, especially near the top, whilst the CPZ hours are in force, some of the roads are half full at the most.

Wouldn't the best thing for the greater number be (if technically possible ) to open the ladder up in the day time and let London keep moving between 8 - 8pm like house boaters allow generators between those times and then close it off at night when people are more likely home and need some peace and quiet ?

Whether it's the best thing to give priority to rat-running or residents' well-being is probably a very personal thing, FPR. I imagine those views may well be coloured by self-interest. Empathy might also enter into the equation. People who live in other areas, perhaps on very quiet roads, and can see their travel needs inconvenienced may feel more inclined to vote for rat-running. Those within the affected area or who themselves live on traffic-ridden roads may be more inclined to side with residents needs....don't you think.  

I imagine many views here are coloured by self interest....

As I said, the greater good should be the priority.

Mmm, well I imagine we ought to leave this here then and avoid the trap of debating what the 'greater good' might be and how we should all seek to deploy it.

Well you can't accuse me on that front!

The problem for traffic, whether Wightman Road is open or not, is the junction at The Arena.

The best analogy I can come up with (and not a particularly good one) is imagining Green Lanes and Wightman Road as a funnel that currently has two spouts, one at The Arena and one at the junction of Alroy Road and Endymion Road. The Alroy Road spout will be capped off meaning that all the traffic must end up at The Arena junction. If Wightman is left open, the traffic will back up there but still end up stuck at The Arena junction. If Wightman is closed, the traffic will back up on Green Lanes. Surely that's the least worst option? I know people live on Green Lanes but it is far less residential than Wightman and the other Ladder roads, is wider, has traffic lights and several controlled crossings, all of which will make it less complex to control traffic flows.

I deliberately looked for the sign today because I hadn't noticed it before, and I can see why I hadn't  - not the most visible sign ever!

Where is it? We're not talking about the yellow sign on the left are we? What's the point having it 25 yards up the road?

Yes it is the barely visible yellow sign giving advanced warning of the road closure. I was looking this morning and I didn't notice any others along Salisbury road.

You're kidding right? Even at full magnification I can see nothing.

Seriously it's the advanced warning, and I have already zoomed in on that photograph.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service