Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Don't Forget - Wightman Road Closed for 5 months from Next Tuesday (29th March)

In case it's escaped your notice or slipped your mind, Wightman Road will be closed to through traffic for five months starting next Tuesday 29th March.

This will be a significant dislocation to North London traffic movement. So much so that warning notices have been placed as far away as Archway. No doubt it will also have a significant impact on Harringay's traffic.

However, there really is no alternative to at least partial road closure. The railway bridge between Alroy and Wightman roads is being replaced and there will simply be no road for a few months!

One option the Council could have taken would have been to simply reroute the traffic via the Ladder rung roads. It is to their credit, however, they recognised that with over 16,000  vehicles a day using Wightman Road, this would have placed an intolerable burden on our narrow residential roads, already beset by undue traffic volumes.

After consultation with residents, the solution decided upon is to place blocks at regular intervals along Wightman Road, in effect creating clusters of two or three rung roads. Whilst this will retain unfettered access for residents. it will render the whole Ladder, including Wightman, useless as a rat run. You can clearly see the details on the full size pdf map attached below.

Quite what it will mean for traffic in Harringay, Haringey and further afield remains to be seen. Those of us who have been working with the Council on this very much hope that traffic will quickly find other routes. It's fair to say, however, that at very best, we're going to experience some very heavy congestion on Green Lanes for a month or so. 

At the same time, the Harringay traffic study will continue. The coincident timing of this piece of work with the bridge closure may be fortunate in that it will give the consultants an opportunity to study the outcome of diverting traffic away from Harringay. 

A pdf copy of the Wightman Road closure is attached, along with some Council-produced documentation. You can stay up to date with what's happening on the Wightman Road closure on a dedicated page on the council website here.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 33766

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you. What email address are you using, perhaps it would help if there are a few of us sending the same message. This is so dangerous, its a matter of time before a pedestrian gets hit!

Send photos to the Haringey Indepedent.

Oops I meant to go to that, but probably too late now. I'd be interested to hear what you learned Antoinette.

Hugh has set up a new thread...rather amusingly mis-spelling in the title!
http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/wightman-road-public-me...

Mis-spelling? Moi? Never!

And I think people on the ladder and Wightman road should reconsider their selfishness of offloading all that extra traffic on people who live on Green Lanes..

How would you have organised things Chris?

Oh yeah, we totally did this ourselves.

We didn't do it. It was the Council.

I think people driving should reconsider their selfishness, actually. 

We had been promised yellow box junctions on Green Lanes at the junctions with the Ladder roads. They were promised by the end of April but still nothing....

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service