Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Don't Forget - Wightman Road Closed for 5 months from Next Tuesday (29th March)

In case it's escaped your notice or slipped your mind, Wightman Road will be closed to through traffic for five months starting next Tuesday 29th March.

This will be a significant dislocation to North London traffic movement. So much so that warning notices have been placed as far away as Archway. No doubt it will also have a significant impact on Harringay's traffic.

However, there really is no alternative to at least partial road closure. The railway bridge between Alroy and Wightman roads is being replaced and there will simply be no road for a few months!

One option the Council could have taken would have been to simply reroute the traffic via the Ladder rung roads. It is to their credit, however, they recognised that with over 16,000  vehicles a day using Wightman Road, this would have placed an intolerable burden on our narrow residential roads, already beset by undue traffic volumes.

After consultation with residents, the solution decided upon is to place blocks at regular intervals along Wightman Road, in effect creating clusters of two or three rung roads. Whilst this will retain unfettered access for residents. it will render the whole Ladder, including Wightman, useless as a rat run. You can clearly see the details on the full size pdf map attached below.

Quite what it will mean for traffic in Harringay, Haringey and further afield remains to be seen. Those of us who have been working with the Council on this very much hope that traffic will quickly find other routes. It's fair to say, however, that at very best, we're going to experience some very heavy congestion on Green Lanes for a month or so. 

At the same time, the Harringay traffic study will continue. The coincident timing of this piece of work with the bridge closure may be fortunate in that it will give the consultants an opportunity to study the outcome of diverting traffic away from Harringay. 

A pdf copy of the Wightman Road closure is attached, along with some Council-produced documentation. You can stay up to date with what's happening on the Wightman Road closure on a dedicated page on the council website here.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 33772

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bet the majority of the residents are enjoying the peace and quiet.

I am glad to say that since the road closed, all expected deliveries on our part of Wightman Road have arrived as planned, including of course, the daily postman.  Also, our black bins were emptied this week as usual.  I didn't see the lorry but I suppose it drove up Allison and went down Hewitt afterwards.  The only defect I have noticed is the failure to empty the recycling bins this week.  We shall survive this but it does look a bit like incompetence.

I spoke to some other traders on Green Lanes today about the effect of the WR closure on their businesses. Both were restaurants. One who works in a large successful Turkish restaurant, surprised me. He said that most of the restaurant's customers arrive on foot anyway so the business was not impacted at all. Not what I was expecting. The other said he thought that the slower traffic may even be helping. He told me that the has the sense that slow speeds gave people a chance to take in the surroundings that they may normally just pass through. On the other hand he did also say that a booking was cancelled last week due to the traffic.

This is really useful to know - the reaction from traders was initially negative but I do keep sticking my head in to a particular business (which shall remain un-named and was particularly angry) as I walk up Green Lanes and saying "it's improving isn't it". As the shouts of no it's not are reducing I can only assume that things will improve further as people change their habits.

I will be knocking on doors speaking to residents in Wightman road today - there will be quite a lot of us so if it's not me that knocks and anyone would like to have a chat just let whoever it is know and they will give me a shout.
Don't count on those views as necessarily representative though.
I wonder if the relevant people can be made aware that the junction on Hampden Rd and Wightman Rd, although blocked by tiny bollards, has enough path space that cars can mount the kerb and go down Hampden Rd illegally. I've just stood with my dog blocking a car from going down Hampden Rd this way. He said he lived on Hampden, I doubt it, so I told him that he should know by now etc etc. They need to stick a bollard on the path to deter cars from doing this, as it is wide enough for a car to easily squeeze through.

Why not tell the traffic marshals and ask them to have something done ?

Did that, got a blank look back. I guess they pretty much hate their job at the moment! It's a thankless task.

Understandably. You could try to catch up Counsellor Emina and her buddies, currently door knocking on Wightman.

Illegally? Are you sure? Unless there is a new traffic management order for the prohibitions and properly compliant signs etc I'm not convinced the driver is breaking the law.

It is illegal if he's driving on the pavement.

He mounted the pavement to squeeze between the bollards on the path in order to drive down Hampden Rd. Pretty sure I would have failed my driving test if I thought that was allowable!

Yes I didn't mean to drive down Hampden Rd was illegal, but to drive on the path in order to bypass the bollards is illegal, is what I meant.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service