Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Don't Forget - Wightman Road Closed for 5 months from Next Tuesday (29th March)

In case it's escaped your notice or slipped your mind, Wightman Road will be closed to through traffic for five months starting next Tuesday 29th March.

This will be a significant dislocation to North London traffic movement. So much so that warning notices have been placed as far away as Archway. No doubt it will also have a significant impact on Harringay's traffic.

However, there really is no alternative to at least partial road closure. The railway bridge between Alroy and Wightman roads is being replaced and there will simply be no road for a few months!

One option the Council could have taken would have been to simply reroute the traffic via the Ladder rung roads. It is to their credit, however, they recognised that with over 16,000  vehicles a day using Wightman Road, this would have placed an intolerable burden on our narrow residential roads, already beset by undue traffic volumes.

After consultation with residents, the solution decided upon is to place blocks at regular intervals along Wightman Road, in effect creating clusters of two or three rung roads. Whilst this will retain unfettered access for residents. it will render the whole Ladder, including Wightman, useless as a rat run. You can clearly see the details on the full size pdf map attached below.

Quite what it will mean for traffic in Harringay, Haringey and further afield remains to be seen. Those of us who have been working with the Council on this very much hope that traffic will quickly find other routes. It's fair to say, however, that at very best, we're going to experience some very heavy congestion on Green Lanes for a month or so. 

At the same time, the Harringay traffic study will continue. The coincident timing of this piece of work with the bridge closure may be fortunate in that it will give the consultants an opportunity to study the outcome of diverting traffic away from Harringay. 

A pdf copy of the Wightman Road closure is attached, along with some Council-produced documentation. You can stay up to date with what's happening on the Wightman Road closure on a dedicated page on the council website here.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 33792

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's a sign about the road closure there!?!

Yes if you look between the 7.5t sign and the blue one way sign you can just about make it out. I saw it very clearly from the top of the bus just now but that's not very helpful is it!

Good God. Yes I can see it now. That looks really useful............

I noticed that parking restrictions have gone up in Hampden Rd. I can't park outside my house from the 29th until September, so I imagine that the other roads adjacent to Hampden will have similar restrictions. Don't I feel unlucky as one of the chosen houses! (106-110). I wonder what the churches will do on Sundays because at the moment any available space on a Sunday is taken up by church goers. And it seems to be a good portion of the day as well. Now with parking restrictions either side of Hampden from 66-69 and 106-110, parking space for paid permit holders is going to be very tight. Woe-betide any church goer free parking outside my house on a Sunday if I can't!

I wasn't given any warning in advance that portions of the road were going to have parking restrictions, all I knew was the top end at Wightman would be closed and there would be a turning space up there.

I'm looking forward to the chaos that will ensue, particularly as they are building a monstrosity of flats where the old CAB was on Hampden, and Lorries are there every day. Time to sell the car I think, or ask the council for a refund of my permit for the months affected.

I guess the space outside your house is one of the passing spaces to try and get cars in an out of your road (Hampden I going to be two way..)?

You are right, the church is going to be a bit of an issue...

I wonder what the Mosque thinks about it ?

Are disabled drivers allowed to park in the passing places ?

Can a Mosque think?

Metonymy.

Love that word...Thanks for reminding me about it...
It might be fine as it won't be a through road, but it feels a bit like musical chairs (with cars instead). Take away a few spaces and let the residents fight it out for the rest!
If there are no parking restrictions on a Sunday aren't they (and you) allowed to park outside your house?

If people with Disabled Driver permits are allowed to park in the turning and passing places it will make the two-way working impossible.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service