Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

You may have noticed a certain lack of progress with finishing the works on Green Lanes. Well, this time round we can't look to blame thee Council or TfL. Apparently, we're waiting for a shipment of granite to arrive from China and it's being repeatedly delayed.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay regeneration 2012-13

Views: 3520

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Force" the contractors? It would probably be contravening their human rights John. I recently read that the Council failed to collect £19 million in council tax over the past few years. A huge failure, clearly no forcing going there just a shrug of the shoulders and oh, well, never mind.. Just think what that money could have done for those who do bother to pay in the Borough. We could have had more Ming Dynasty slabs! 

Was driving down Green Lanes with a friend on Sunday night when she asked: "So when are the regeneration works starting?" I couldn't contain my frustration when I told her that the work had started, "just check out our lovely pavements, they're under the piles of rubbish bags!"

More trees, more action to rid our beautiful buildings of satellite dishes, and more rubbish collections would have improved GL visually by a mile. A missed opportunity; a complete and shocking waste of money.

We were at the Hala restaurant last night and when we arrived noticed some of the new paving was badly discoloured in patches. There was a particularly large dark blob at the corner of Green Lanes and Chesterfield Gardens. Later when we left, we saw a pile of rubbish bags and other crud left at this spot.

The phrase: fouling our own nest"  comes to mind.

Hence, when prevention fails, this.

Of course.  And perhaps you'd like to ask some Freedom of Information Act questions about the likely cost of this option assuming various frequencies of cleaning - for example, weekly or daily.  Or however many times is needed to remove the grunge seeping through the bags.

Bearing in mind that Haringey and hundreds more councils are about to have another huge cut in their Central Government grant.

No matter how frequent the cleaning, it could be every 5 mins., careless, thoughtless, downright ignorant antisocial dumping of rubbish everywhere keeps happening. Those doing it don't care. Someone will clear it up for them.

I've just been round the road to shops and spotted a bag of rubbish all over the place on the road outside Yavuzlar shop. I doubt its their rubbish as they're quite clean and it looked like a domestic bag of refuse. But it's been dumped and torn open so it's a righ old mess in the road. It just keeps happening…. when will the authorities start investigating and fining people? And getting tough? There are enough parking wardens around, why not rubbish wardens? They'd make a fortune and people might start to think twice before doing this. 

Whenever I come back from anywhere, I soon get upset by the rubbish here, the anti-social, don't care attitude. Lack of civic pride, of ownership, everyone living in their own bubble apart from some residents who care and keep trying to change things. I fear it's just out of control here. 

Good luck con tu guerra TBD! You have your hands full with those HMOs. Mucho trabajo a hacer con tu vecinos.  I can deal with the car diners at top of road who chuck stuff away after they've finished their dinners…. maybe I'll just chuck it back in their cars. How long do you think I'll live taking that approach? 

We need armbands or something to say we are Rubbish Awareness Wardens. RAWs. 

We just need to get the people who do this out of Tottenham. A sort of cleansing.

Why would you dig up a large area of pavement without having ready the materials to replace it?

I think the plaza will look good, somewhere to pop out of the pub and have a crafty fag, a place to chat. We drove through Brixton at the weekend and the plaza outside the cinema looked good, lots of different types of people enjoying the early evening heat, chilling.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service