Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was going to put this in the Warham Residents, but I figured others who walk the Passage might want to comment

I'm talking about this one

I was discussing the narrowed crossing point with my neighbour Maggie and saying how, of all the crossing points going along the Passage, it is the one that makes me the most nervous. There is a large barrier in front of the crossing which I believe obscures the view of drivers and may prevent them from seeing smaller members of our community coming out of there (not to mention the parked cars up to the barrier). As a driver, she agreed this was the case and that she finds that this crossing point makes her very nervous.

Dumped packaging

The railing seems pointless, if its purpose is to discourage people from running across the road, as it doesn't cover the mouth of the Passage. There are no signs up warning of the possibility of children crossing, despite being the next street up from a school.

Add to that the fact that Warham Road is a rat run and cars tear up the road from the lights at speeds that would almost certainly kill a child. I helped pick up a little boy knocked down there a few months back, it wasn't recorded because the carers decided to take him home and not call an ambulance.

You will also notice in the photos the inevitable dumping that space attracts.

So what to do? Let's design the problem out.

How about replacing the barrier and bollards with planters on either side, removing the railing which serves no purpose and dropping the kerb slightly to the left as in Pemberton Road/Mattison Road so that the way is blocked by a planter. We could get a Making the Difference Grant for the planters and get some input from highways to help move the kerb.

So what do people think?

Tags for Forum Posts: Warham Road, safety

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't got a decent photo of it, but the Pemberton Road/Mattison style near the school seems to work better although I don't like the wall/ bin combo as that attracts dumping
Old clothes

If we were to think it through carefully (there's little there except railings and tarmac, so not much to have to remove) we can factor in issues like planters obscuring views. I think a complete remodelling would be good, we'd have to see what highways offered and negotiate.
Just have planter 'upstream' of the passage instead of both sides that way it won't block the drivers/childs view. (i assume warham is one way)
I'd love to get involved in a plant up - sure others would too - could make it a bit of an event with some of the kids on the street getting their hands dirty.
@Michael: It's good to get the kids involved - in my area the kids (big and small) had real fun (and before any sarcastic comments are made - no, they weren't forced labour) - The idea behind it, was to stop the area just being used as a dog toilet..
Crellestraße, 10827 Berlin
and the end result: (the kids also prepared the signs)
The finished job

@Liz: If you are concerned about the planters being used as benches - have you considered just using a low fence..? It would reduce the vision problem considerably

P.S. The photos were taken last summer, but the plot still looks good this year - I'll try and get a shot if I have time..
Yes, we could try fenced off plot but one that would not permit the local dogwalkers to use it as toilet. Like I said, all ideas on the table, please.

Getting the kids working on it would be easy enough. We could perhaps take our cue from the Community Garden in Doncaster Gardens and have regular plant ups, like bulb planting in the spring.

I'm arranging a meet up with the councillors at the crossing point. If anyone wants and can be present at the meeting, you would be very welcome. I'll post the date in this thread when its set up.
I reckon these crossings need a chicane. Here's one I prepared earlier:

You'll never stop kids from running into the road, but you can force drivers to slow down.
Interesting! Like the idea - what do the white lines represent? Alan's Peacehaven Green?
oh the white lines are to indicate that it's a pedestrian priority area, like a zebra crossing.
Like the idea of white lines.

The dropped kerb could be where the black and white barrier is on the left as you come up from Green Lanes and where the bollards are on the right, with Very low planters (with narrow edges which would stop the place becoming a convenient seat for the drinkers and charming drug dealers that congregate and sit on the railing on the right) directly in front of the entrance to the Passage.

I will take some photos and maybe some "photoshop genius/ design types" could remove all the current street furniture and re imagine the space, with the simple brief to move the crossing point away from directly in front of the Passage and green the space up (while discouraging dumping). All ideas welcome.
How about a 'cut and cover' tunnel for cars to go underneath the crossing point. I'll ask my inventor/designer friend to help. http://variationsonnormal.com/

I can't get rid of the rubbish in the front garden there: they can do that themselves!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service