Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Last week I put up a post concerning Cyril Smith and my local MP, Ms Featherstone.

The post attracted the attention of a couple of not-quite-ready wits, and it became a little bit internet handbags.

However, Ms Featherstone was good enough to reply and I've copied below, my message and her response for anyone who might be interested..

Dear Ms Featherstone,   I am writing to ask whether you are confident that the current leader of your party is likely to show the leadership required to institute a full enquiry into the activities of Cyril Smith.   The child abuse perpetrated by the latter has remained as a blemish on our public life, especially as he was ennobled by the Liberals, who it is claimed, were in full knowledge of Smith's activities.   If allegations - and the potential involvement of other senior public figures - can be proven, then a response is clearly required.   If the allegations are unproven or unlawful, then presumably libel laws will be enforced.       Interested to hear your response.      
Regards
Steve Wilkins

Dear Steve,       
Thank you for your email and for sharing your views with me. Cyril Smith's acts were vile and repugnant. I have nothing but sympathy for those whose lives he ruined and I know my Lib Dem colleagues feel the same way. His actions were not known to or in any way condoned by the Liberal Party or the Liberal Democrats – we condemn them utterly and completely.

With regards to an investigation, I think you will agree with me that organisations are often not best placed to investigating themselves. As Nick Clegg has already said these are very serious matters which the police may well want to look into and it will be up to the police to conduct those investigations. They are the right people to look into these things.
Please do let me know if you would like to discuss this further or if there is any other matter that I can help you with.
Kind regards,
Lynne Featherstone
Member of Parliament for Hornsey and Wood Green

Views: 278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Poor Lynne! 

I tend to agree. It would be much more transparent if someone independent of the party carried out any investigation, especially if it lead to criminal charges being brought.

Seems fair.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service