Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Cyclists again.....why do we have to suffer abuse?

Cycling on White Hart Lane this morning, safely in the correct postion was sworn at and beeped by overtaking car. Coming back on Devonshire Hill Lane(a quiet back road) was again sworn at by speeding motorist coming the other way. The annoying thing is that there's little or nothing I can do about it; the police can't be expected to act on this can they? I know these are the people who like to take out their anger on others when there is no chance of a comeback(the kind that swear at Muslim women) but it is upsetting and leaves me with anger myself. 

Views: 1077

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder if men are more exposed to this? I (a female) cycle to and from work every day, and generally adopt quite an 'aggressive' cycling position about 1 metre out from the kerb. Have only been sworn at once, by a taxi driver, but do sometimes get drivers revving their engines behind me or aggressively overtaking. I wear a helmet and high-viz vest.

I did once complain to a driver parked on a double yellow line blocking a lane at the Manor House junction (I said 'you're blocking the lane' and gestured at the traffic) and the driver, who was sitting in the car, got out and started swearing at me and I thought he was going to hit me. His female companion advised me to move on.

My wife isn't a 'take the lane' type of cyclist. She gets grief on the regular, often from black cab drivers whereas I don't recall ever having any real problems with them; I don't know if this is evidence of anything except that I hate people.

Anyone who takes their driving test should be aware of courtesy and anticipation, they are key to driving responsibly, cycling can be unpredictable and deserve more space than most drivers provide sometimes, the temptation to speed from a small amount of drivers makes reaction times smaller and more stressful for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians, let's all stay calm you'll feel better in the end., just do what they taught cha!

I got smacked on the back once by a van passing so closely its wing mirror clipped me and had me off. The t***er didn't even have the grace to see if I was ok after he stopped and checked his mirror and took off!

I cycle everyday and you just rise above it, as you say these people will swear at anyone and anything  it is not you or cyclists per se. Having cycled in London for several years through the city on busy roads I have not yet had an accident. There is a lot of value in eye contact as there is when you drive. So many cyclists I see, don't check behind them before they pull out, don't signal even to go round a parked car and don't stop at traffic lights or pedestrian crossings, and very few thank a driver that does slow down to let you go past or who pulls out to give you room! Is it any wonder drivers get mad. I have more rows with other stupid cyclists than I do with drivers. Its bad cyclists that give god cyclists a bad name so maybe your anger should be directed at them, if they obeyed the rules of the road then you wouldn't be getting mis directed grief! 

let's not start blaming the victim. I drove a car all day on one career, and was a motorcycle courier in another, so I am very familiar with driving habits. I once grabbed a cyclists bike on Charing Cross Road as they blithely sailed cross a red light, scattering pedestrians. The cyclist was pretty shocked! Cyclists who cycle dangerously and carelessly endanger themselves and pedestrians. Car drivers endanger everyone; and it is HGVs turning left that kill cyclists. Why should I direct my anger at other cyclists? The car drivers who abused me had no reason to do so, as I was cycling safely and correctly. I note that cyclists often acknowledge a politeness when I am driving, even tho I wish they would keep their hands on the handlebars. It is often not a good idea for a cyclist to give hand signals as they reduce their control. I know when a cyclist looks round that they may be about to change position. I was not getting 'misdirected grief' but unjustified aggression. Not sure you are the good cyclist you think you are if you have so many rows with other cyclists....

I bet you just love the cyclists who ride along with no hands while texting

there's a lot of sense above   the answer (which could be difficult to effect) is to make bike-riding part of the driving licence and have a licence for all cyclists so that each appreciates the others' problems   I cycled and drove and had my share of accidents on London roads for about 50 years but my worst accident was on my motorbike    bikers are much better than they used to be, more cyclists wear lights but there are still too many who think they don't have to respect traffic lights and there are too many short-tempered motorists, particularly those who drive too near ancient people like me who try to cross at lights which are only in my favour for a few brief seconds!    I've never been the most patient person in the world but, echoing previous opinions, urge all to show patience and sensitivity    an old friend used to say "what else did you have for Christmas?" and he would query "what are you going to do with the couple of seconds you saved" (by shooting the lights, for instance)

Appreciate your frustrations but really, what will a driving licence test for cyclists actually achieve. I get you can have points etc if you are caught, but passing a test will not change inherent behaviour. Does it stop folks in cars speeding, running red lights or driving dangerously, no it does not.

Brick in the saddle bag?

It could be classed as assault or at least a public order offence - there's more and more cyclists who are wearing cameras on their helmets (and car owners fitting cameras that store the last x mins after an accident so you have evidence of what happened.

I now wear a helmet video camera after 30 years daily commuting 

I got it after a couple of run ins with  buses over 2week period.. I was a bit perplexed as generally over the last many years  found both taxis and bus drivers fantastic on the whole. So thought I would send video evidence into whoever trains bus drivers to improve training amongst cyclists. Ok so obviously been watching too much tv

I also think compulsory cycle training should come in, although difficult to in force

Taking your space on the road is essential and I often mention this to people I pass who cycle in the "door zone"

I must say I get little abuse on the road these days, esp compared to days gone by, where people have tried to hit me, spit on me, throw things at me

so think its easier this days, but I do like looking back over my film footage if someone has yelled at me, just in case I had missed something. And actually  it has just shown they are slightly unhinged and makes very funny footage

but take care, and yes very good comments.. I always stick my hand up to drivers to thank them, but it shouldn,t be expected as yes it means 1 hand off the handle bars

I sometimes or maybe quite often don't indicate with my hand when turning, as when you are trying to look behind you, and accelerate, and be ready with 1 hand to brake if need be..I often don't have a safe spare hand to wave in the air, but like to hope the car driver I keep looking back at, realises I'm trying to move over..any car drivers out there please take note

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service