Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

From extensive research undertaken today it would appear that the council have given Haringey Council lorries carte blanche to ignore the 7.5t access only limits on the Ladder.

My morning began with a phone call to Structural Steelwork and Engineering Ltd of Lea Valley after I took a movie of one of their trucks using my road as a shortcut. Using the A406 for them must be torture at the moment so of course they're taking shortcuts down Lausanne Rd. After a very nice phone call to the foreman, who also has a speedhump outside his house, I got a promise that he would speak to the driver and check the tracker in his vehicle. Sure he tried to tell me that the truck could have been 7.5t but after insisting that no way could he get that amount of steel on a 7.5t truck he looked it up, 18t.

Anyway, a not so productive time with Haringey Council later on in the day. Their vehicle impounding yard is in Mary Neuner Rd and they can't get to that from Turnpike Lane as there's no right turn. They HAVE to use a ladder road, be it Warham or Lausanne or whatever and their vehicle impounding lorries are at least 12t. So I got on my bike and meandered on down there after taking a nice movie of an impounding vehicle who couldn't hear me clearly enough the first time asking him what he was doing so came around the block.

Video here.

Down at the Haringey Vehicle Pound I spoke to someone who was actually quite good at saying nothing and I expect to see in politics one day. First he tried to accuse me of having this bee under my bonnet because I had previously had a vehicle impounded by the council. Then he tried to say that their trucks were 7.5t (pull the other one sunshine, my father sold trucks, I know you can't carry another car on 7.5t). The most laughable one was when I said I had a movie of it that I had to show the truck going past the 7.5t access only sign. I asked him to come back with me and see the sign for himself (all I wanted was for him to have a word with the drivers) but he said he didn't have time.

Does anyone else have a lot of the Haringey Council vehicle impounding lorries come down their street?

Tags for Forum Posts: 7.5t, haringeycouncil, hgv, lorries

Views: 723

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John, I'm a long-standing, frequent and sometimes scathing critic of Haringey's Parking and Highways services. But I also try to be fair and even-handed. Especially when their staff deliver good service and respond positively to public complaints and suggestions.

I'm impressed with the replies you had from Ann Cunningham, Head of the Parking Service. She was courteous, informative and very quick. The contractors, Ontime, should have got the message that the Parking Service takes a dim view of their drivers cutting through the Ladder roads. And that residents take an even dimmer view and are likely to spot, photograph and report them.

I seriously doubt whether Ontime would be able to invent non-existent vehicles to impound as an excuse for a shortcut. And drivers who tried it could be risking their jobs.
" Anyway, a not so productive time with Haringey Council later on in the day. Their vehicle impounding yard is in Mary Neuner Rd and they can't get to that from Turnpike Lane as there's no right turn. They HAVE to use a ladder road, .... "

Why can't they go along Green Lanes, past Shopping City and turn left at the bus station - then access Mary Neuner Road from the other end ?
Perhaps, John_D, you may want to send a helpful email to Ms Cunningham with this suggestion?
Have done :-)
Turnpike Lane needs to be a red route and the junction with Wightman needs to be reworked extensively to give priority to Turnpike Lane traffic and to allow right hand turns into Hornsey Park with significant incentives for through traffic to use Mary Neuner Way.

It's not fair on the council to say they can't use their expensive new road, end of.
@Alan, I have a very confidently worded email from Ontime saying they had been given permission. Ms Cunnighams assurances that she will handle it were given to a nerd who is slightly obsessed by this issue. I think she was fibbing me off, there is no solution whilst there is no right hand turn from Tunpike Lane into Hornsey Park.
I meant fobbing... Honest.

Here's another example of council workers not gong by the rules, this is from yesterday, Seymour Road. The vehicle has clearly gone the wrong way down the one way street. Why? Probably could not be bothered with Green Lanes... there's NO other explanation.

Why do they think this is OK? What if someone had come up the road, driving legally? Would they have had to turn back? Do as I say, not what I do indeed.
Council workers, Anette? Then please report this vehicle tomorrow morning - linking to your photos.
Will do. Who do I report this to? The parking lady mentioned above?
I think this job is being done by Morrison on behalf of whoever maintains the electricity infrastructure these days. Don't know why the lorry was in such a rush. No one else seemed in any hurry to complete the project.
It's been sitting there for a week, so no, seemingly no rush. Any idea who I report this to..?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service