Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Could Haringey Council be persuaded to bring Hackney's pioneering play streets scheme to our roads?

Hackney Council have developed a groundbreaking scheme that will close selected streets to through traffic using Temporary Play Street Orders (TPSOs), which allow parents to apply to the council to close their street for a few hours per week or month. Those who live in play streets can still drive to and from their homes, and will be guided at walking pace by volunteer stewards stationed at each end of the street.

This seems like a wonderful idea to me and one that I'd like to see given a try in Haringey. I'd love to be able to close the streets around our local schools for a few hours on Friday afternoons to let kids hang out and play with their friends for example. We could work out a rota so one Ladder street gets closed every Sunday. 

Maybe you have other ideas? Could we reclaim the streets for our youngsters even if only for a few hours a week or month? Would Haringey Council be persuaded to give it a go? If Hackney can do it, so can we!

Source: Hackney Gazette

Tags for Forum Posts: Temporary Play Street Orders

Views: 1531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I half agree, Ant. But when someone sends a written/emailed answer in response to a query by a member of the public, then - unless it's a confidential matter - I think that can be shared with other members of the public.

If it's about a topic that affects many other people, I believe it should be shared. One good reason is because on many websites and blogs, opinion is always plentiful. Facts and evidence can be a lot harder to come by. So if a website's members have been digging out reliable and evidenced facts, let's please pool our knowledge.

Although when I copy an email, I tend to leave out the names of staff other than senior staff.  Because it's inefficient if people contact less senior staff directly so as to avoid the public systems.

Your ask about cc-ing a discussion thread. One way is to give the link location. For example: Please see this discussion thread on Harringay Online. In particular a comment by Ant.

Hi Liz, yes we're looking into this. Clarendon residents are very keen to implement play streets on their road. We're currently Getting legal advice and compiling info. As you might know Zena is highly knowledgable on this. We aim to pilot one in Haringey soon. I'm sure Gardens will consider it as part of the community streets project too. Having said all these, it's not as simple as it sounds. Residents take on responsibility and they lead the way. The closure is to through traffic and it's normally not more than 3 hours in a week. Will keep you posted. Nilgun
Hi, I'm really supportive of it. While we're gathering evaluation info and getting legal aspects clarified If you are really keen it to happen on your road pls put a petition together and gather pool of highly committed residents than we can talk about it. The scheme primarily depends on the agreement of vast majority of residents as well as a highly committed pool of them who'll be in charge from A to Z.

This is a brilliant idea. Let's do all we can to get this happening in Haringey.

agreed. count me in

Much talk of Nilgun here, I see. She still lives on Mattison? I'm sure she could get into a cross-party huddle with David on Falkland and in no time at all they'd have their two roads closing on alternate Friday afternoons and Sundays. For kidz caught in the middle, Gina would be happy to close her luxuriously paved Effingham on Saturdays & Mondays.

(Of course once that's up and going we'll expect Karen to get Wightman closed for the rest of the week.)  

I would love to have a luxuriously paved Lausanne.  We had Labour knocking on doors on our roads today and were asked we had any issues.  Needless to say that the bins and state of our roads and pavements were mentioned.  An old boy up the road also mentioned the pavements and how he found it difficult to walk on the pavements.  He was told there was no money.  Hmm there were money for Effingham so .... 

The legislation that permits play streets is contained in the Road Traffic Regulation Act of 1984
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/section/29
The original legislation was enacted way back in 1931!
Yes that's correct Michael. We're also liaising with Bristol for a feedback. They are at the end of their pilot period (it was a year one).

This is very helpful, Nilgun.

Many of us now rely on Harringay Online to find out some of what's going on In the borough. So can I suggest that officers are encouraged to post the information they get from Bristol and other local councils about these types of schemes.

No probs. I'll arrange that.
Great to learn from the experiences of others. I really hope we can make this happen.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service