Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

HOL readers may be interested in the formal answer from the Council to my question about the cost of the bicycle racks in Green Lanes (I have reproduced the Council's written answer to my question in full, but have omitted other Members' earlier seven questions):

_________________________________________________________________________________

FULL COUNCIL: 21 JULY 2014

WRITTEN ANSWERS TO ORAL QUESTIONS

[ … … … … … … … ]

ORAL QUESTION 8 - TO THE CABINET MEMBER FOR ENVIRONMENT FROM COUNCILLOR CARTER:

How much did the new cycling racks on Green Lanes cost to buy and install?

ANSWER

The Green Lanes major scheme includes the provision and installation of 72 new cycle racks at a cost of £17,000.

However, it became evident to officers following the receipt of the racks in May this year, that they were not fit for purpose with manufacturing and design flaws. The suppliers have agreed to replace all the racks at no additional cost to the Council.

Officers will shortly be consulting Ward Councillors and the Haringey Cycling Campaign to find a suitable alternative design.

_________________________________________________________________________________

P.S. I have now added all the eight Answers to Oral Questions (in PDF form)

Councillor

Highgate Ward

Liberal Democrat Party

Tags for Forum Posts: bicycle, design, flaw, management, money, public, racks, supervision, waste

Views: 2567

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used those weird racks for the first time at the weekend. Whatever abrasive material they are made from scratched the paintwork on my best bike. Next time I'll look for a stray pooch!

I took my bike in the Salisbury and left it behind the bar (Cheers, Dave). The racks just look so flimsy and I was worried about scratching my frame too.

Is this a service Dave would be prepared to offer others? ;)

The ones around the Salisbury and Tescos are always used.

Of course one solution would be to move the bike racks into the many parking spaces that Green Lanes seems to require (I assume because Harringay is so short of public transport options).

Hi John we went down with Council officers, Cllr McNamara today and met with Adam Coffman , I must say that 3 out of 4 on Cavendish Rd were in use. I asked about the number as I am not an expert and am confident that's it's certainly not too many.

Hi Emine, interesting to hear you had that meeting today, would you tell us any more about what it was about or any actions that came from it?

One thing i don't like about all these new stands is that it seems like there is too many of them clustered together in the wrong places (and not angled to the road like someone else already mentioned). I cycle around here and haven't used one of the new stands yet, i usually use a tree or post nearer where i'm going. For example, up from Beresford to Frobisher there are only two groups of the new cycle stands, at the end of Fairfax and Falkland Roads, a total of 9 stands i think. I just rode up from Beresford to Frobisher now and counted 11 cycles chained to various trees and posts and railings, but just one was using a new stand.

Why not ask us here on HoL where we'd like the new replacement stands to go?

There was a £17,000 cycling budget, I bet. The stands are a actually well made and I get the design thing but there are standards that have not been adhered to and was this really the best way to spend the cycling budget?

Stop everything and get loads of these, they are genius. Making a political point while protecting ten bikes at the same time. Flat pack, in stock now it says. Not sure about the colours but those garish primaries seem to be what the local traders think people like.  A whole row of these along Green Lanes, replacing a few car parking places, would say more about LBH and its commitment to cycling, than hoops dotted about.   We would be famous too.

I haven't seen a great deal of evidence of 'LBH and its commitment to cycling', on GL or elsewhere in the borough. Preserving and enhancing space for the ever-decreasing number of car owners in Haringey seems to be sacrosanct.

Using the space required for one vehicle to instead park 10 makes perfect sense to me though!

Absolutely, four or five of these would be brilliant. Discouraging cars from going to Green Lanes seems to be a political no-no unfortunately, but this would be a great statement.

Love them. They advertise the racks, stop pavement parking and make the point about how little space cycle parking takes up compared to car parking. And kids would probably like a bit of play on them. Genius. Anyone know where they are?
A few of them were trialled in Islington last year. One of them was in Finsbury Pk, just outside the south gate.

I like that, if they are placed in the road, they take no pavement space. If Haringey was serious about encouraging walking and cycling they would take space from cars to facilitate both.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service