Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

21 FAMILIES WHO LIVE AT CONNAUGHT HOUSE, MUSWELL HILL ARE BEING MADE HOMELESS

The Metropolitan Police are planning to make 21 families homeless by reclaiming the land for profitable redevelopment. 

AS YET THEY HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN PLANNING PERMISSION MEANING THESE BUILDINGS COULD LIE EMPTY (& OPEN TO VANDALISM) FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. 

By doing this, they will be ripping the heart out of the community that live here. 

Some of the residents, having lived here for over 20 years (and brought up children and raised families), have been informed by Crown Housing Association and Haringey Council that they have no legal obligation to re-house them, thus making them homeless. 
In the current climate, where Social Housing is already under extreme pressure, virtually non existent; is making another 21 families homeless, the best solution? Are the financial needs of the Metropolitan Police greater than those of people's lives? 

BAILIFFS ARE DUE THE 2ND WEEK IN MARCH!  (11th)

Local groups are getting involved, as well as Occupy London and Save Barnet Library.

Please come down and give your support.

They also have a Facebook page: Facebook: Save Our Homes

Tags for Forum Posts: Connaught House, community, eviction, homes, local, police, protest

Views: 3236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Will do? thanks for advice.

Can we get a few things straight here.
Council tenants are not subsidised. Councils cannot make a profit so rental income is ring fenced to the housing revenue account and used for maintenance and repair. The rent charged to tenants is the true cost of renting. Private landlords want to make a profit. Their rent levels are set to ensure that they do.
There is no income cap on a tenancy. Having one would counter productive because it would ensure only people below a certain income threshold could have a tenancy. This would then be a real disincentive because having a higher income at some later time would result in eviction.
A good social mix is what makes any area work well and a council estate is no different in this respect.

I was a housing estate manager for a London borough for a number of years and the estates I managed were mainly a mix of tenants in a variety of income brackets. I had tenants who were teachers, nurses, street cleaners, pensioners and people who were unemployed. Then the right to buy arrived and people with the most disposable income bought their homes (which we all of course built with our tax money) with ridiculous discounts and then sold them on, taking them out of the social rented sector.

There is an unpleasant subtext to some posts that a council tenancy somehow equals lack of ambition and ability. Having an income cap on a tenancy would make this a self fulfilling prophesy.

Thank you for the extra data.

A friend just pointed out that she has to pay £350.00 per week for a room in Camden.

Another way to divide the people. The ones who can get into Council Housing are made ashamed by the ones not lucky enough to become tenants of the Council.

Not that much of a fraction of that!  A friend has just been looking to rent round here and the cheapest they could find was a one room bedsit in a house on the ladder converted into an HMO which was £850pm before bills. Once you add on bills and the added cost of travel from zone 3 you're nudging up to not far off£350 a week. Could be why people aren't flocking for the minimum wage jobs.  Unless rents come down dramatically a minimum wage isn't a living wage in London

Agreed.

£350.00 is extortionate, compared to a Council flat. I used to pay £1500 a month for a two bed flat in Camden, years ago. We ended up making the living room into another bedroom, easier for all of us.

Not sure how much that place would be now.

Just had a look on Rightmove - Betty's right that for a 1 bed studio/flat you won't get much change out of £850 pcm, although there are some rooms in shared houses for less.  However, if you get a two-bed flat, the price drops drastically (that is, the sort of average price per room, if you have someone to share with) - there are a fair number at around the £1,000 to £1,300 mark. Obviously I haven't been through and assessed the quality and location of them all, but it seems that sharing, even just with one person, pays.

Pensioner rents this property, she's only on a minimum pension, theres a housing benefit cap, so she asks her sister to pay the extra 100 pound she just doesn't have, she accepts this because she doesn't want to move again she is 75 years old.

so thats one room for a 75 year old in Camden £350 per week, housing benefit capped at £250 per week.

This women worked all her life, is very conservative but has been taken for a ride over the years.

She had a hotel once, sold it, someone demanded agents fees, no contract signed, basically she won the case in court but due to the agent taking her to court being bankrupted had she had to pay all the court fees, this basically took her to the cleaners, the law now has the money she worked all her life for, financial suicide, is how she describes it.

So just beware!

The agents knew exactly what they were doing, he's a gambling addict.

What a terrible story, and with the benefit cap one that will sadly be all too common.
Back to the original post. The people living here have built their lives in this area. I'm angry that the Met Police treat them as disposable garbage to make a fast buck. If this was happening to where you live wouldn't you be just a tad pissed off? I'd be furious. And whe exactly do the landlord expect them to find new homes?
Whoever is the Met Commisioner should hang his (it's normally a bloke) in shame.

I don't think they have any shame.

From what I gather, the organisations involved are passing the buck on who to hold responsible.

No one is to blame according to them for making people homeless.

In the meantime, we have homeless people dying in the streets. whilst 100,000 homes are laying empty in London. Rentier Capitalism for you.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service