Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

21 FAMILIES WHO LIVE AT CONNAUGHT HOUSE, MUSWELL HILL ARE BEING MADE HOMELESS

The Metropolitan Police are planning to make 21 families homeless by reclaiming the land for profitable redevelopment. 

AS YET THEY HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN PLANNING PERMISSION MEANING THESE BUILDINGS COULD LIE EMPTY (& OPEN TO VANDALISM) FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. 

By doing this, they will be ripping the heart out of the community that live here. 

Some of the residents, having lived here for over 20 years (and brought up children and raised families), have been informed by Crown Housing Association and Haringey Council that they have no legal obligation to re-house them, thus making them homeless. 
In the current climate, where Social Housing is already under extreme pressure, virtually non existent; is making another 21 families homeless, the best solution? Are the financial needs of the Metropolitan Police greater than those of people's lives? 

BAILIFFS ARE DUE THE 2ND WEEK IN MARCH!  (11th)

Local groups are getting involved, as well as Occupy London and Save Barnet Library.

Please come down and give your support.

They also have a Facebook page: Facebook: Save Our Homes

Tags for Forum Posts: Connaught House, community, eviction, homes, local, police, protest

Views: 3236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's called Social Cleansing.

Also, the nurse is being advised that she does not need to live in London. She has the choice of paying twice for new accommodation or finding a job outside London.

You are lucky enough to have a job, others are not so lucky. I've met a few who gave up on the idea of further education due to cost. This education would have been free for my generation, but taken away for the current one.

The 1% are very happy in getting the peasants to villify each other. Their children go to Public school and then universities. The peasant working class will just have to learn to fight each other for whatever remains.

What a laugh. Social mobility is very low in this country because people get comfortable with their "social class" and don't want to be better educated, wealthier, etc.

I have a job because I worked very hard for it. Parents don't seem to care about children's education, I do.

After being allocated a dreadful school, I sent my child to private school. How? By finding a night job, typing and filling out spreadsheets. I do that between 9pm and 1am (I am very good at it, precise and fast) every night. Would the unemployed lady be happy with working 8am to 6pm, then home then children and then off typing and filling spreadsheets?

Please, wake up all. If you are re-housed somewhere else, so be it. If somebody offered me a free or low cost house in the North of England, I would go in a heartbeat.

From what I gather the lady used to work for the police in back office.

Social mobility is low because the education system has been gutted by successive governments.

So I presume your children will be very happy going to University, facing a £60,000+ debt afterwards, with no prospects of getting a job or housing afterwards.

I can understand why others have decided to get off the grid. Techno-savvy young people who are very good living away from the rat race.

So once re-housed in the North of England will there be jobs available for them?  

I am interested in this but unclear about what is happening.  Is it the case?

These people are tenants of Crown Housing Association which leases the property from the Met

The Met has decided to sell the land and has given Crown HA notice to give back the properties

Crown HA are therefore evicting their tenants

Some of the tenants meet the criteria for social housing and have therefore been rehoused

Some tenants do not meet the criteria and are therefore without homes

The purpose of the campaign is therefore to find housing for those tenants who have not been rehoused?

Or to stop the evictions all together?

1. Stop the eviction all together. They were originally promised lifetime tenancies.

2. Highlight how the housing in London and the country has suffered due to the lack of building Council housing.

What the heck do you mean by normal life?

It's only Britain out of the whole of Europe that regards property as an investment. They see it as a place to live. Unfortunately, the neo-liberal agenda of scarcity of housing is also plaguing Berlin.

The Spanish have solved that problem when they too faced the Rentier Capitalists, they started reclaiming all the housing that were foreclosed by the banks.

We have 100,000 empty residential properties in London and 57,000 children homeless. Is that supposed to be normal?

It is curious how the assumption that having the council as your landlord rather than a buy to let owner (or the bank) inhibits your ability to "achieve". What are the terms by which achievement is defined? How has failure become linked inextricably to council housing? Where is the evidence? 

Local councils built housing to deliver people from rapacious Rachmanism and slum conditions helping people overcome problems caused by poor housing, over crowding and high rents. Having the council as your landlord was desirable when I was young (even if you couldn't choose the type of front door you wanted) and most people on my family's council estate worked. My grandmother has a lifetime tenancy and her achievements are too numerous to list although she has never owned her own home (nor wanted to, she was disgusted by Right to Buy although she could have afforded it).

By limiting the supply to only the most "needy", successive governments have managed to attach a  stigma to council housing. They are busily handing people back to bad landlords, into poorly maintained properties, creating overcrowding and hardship. How are people to "achieve" when, on low wages and lacking job security, the possibility of homelessness is just a redundancy away.  

While I fear that number 2 will be easier than number 1 for these residents to achieve since the housing law in this country gives all the advantage to the landlord, I think we should ease up on the judgements and the assumptions about who occupies council housing. 

I do find it interesting that some people regard getting a mortgage - death contract, is somehow an achievement.

People on mortgages have more to fear from losing their job, compared to those who refuse to be part of it. 

Engaging in Urban camping for a year and I learnt that lesson well. The problem is that some people like my lifestyle, others prefer to have a home to roost.

Good for you.

A friend bought a place, had it for a year, then sold it three months before the Economic collapse of 2008.

Made £70,000 profit. That's when he figured that it was a great game of pass the parcel. It blows up in the face of whoever ends up with it in the end.

Still confused as to what your definition of a "normal property" is or why a council property is abnormal. Also, I'm still unclear what the problem with council housing is or why its madness to want to live in one.

Are we so wedded to our houses that they now define who we are? An Englishman's home may be his castle but when did it become his prison?

So your saying, that if someone lives in a council house, they cant better themselves?
I dont believe the council had a wage cap on council tenants.  That once you get a better job or a pay rise, that they will kick you out, cos your not classed as 'poor' enough anymore.

Working Class families in council houses, CAN better their lives. CAN move to a better, private rented house.  CAN buy a house, where they can change it to their needs.

But that dont mean they have to.  They can enjoy living in cheap housing (with all the restrictions it brings) and buy themselves a car or wotever with the earnings.  

I personally, dont see any achievement in spending half of your life (the better half in most cases) paying for a house, that once owed, doesnt really enrich your life.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service