Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Depressing news:

I don't really want to discuss the whys and wherefores of betting shops anymore. We did that to death on this thread. I just want to express my utter dejection that once again we were correct and we predicted this back in July

I think we will need to fight this. We will need our MPs and councillors united on this and willing to fight it every inch of the way, we need to back our residents groups and submit lots of objections.

Is there any other high street in London which is suffering from this concentation of gambling establishments?

Tags for Forum Posts: 513 Green Lanes, betting, betting shops, gambling

Views: 424

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who are using all these betting shops? there must be loads of customers otherwise they wouldnt want to open another one with so much competition. I know from going into Ladbrokes sometimes that some men seem to live in the betting shop. they are there all day. It can be a friendly place and I have been tempted to spend all day there myself but then I am a sociologist by training and I could do so without spending much cash.
But where does the money come from they spend on betting? And why doesnt any other type of business want to open a shop on Green Lanes? I think there should be a media campaign as well to highlight this issue, maybe get Gamblers ANonymous involved, that type of stuff.
We got The Guardian on side last time round Ruth. The problem is the legislation. It needs amending. As it is local people have NO say in what happens on their high street. That'll only change when the law does. It needs a national campaign.
Oh dear..... What does our MP do to help us, anybody know what is his view and actions taken in the past? We could all send letters to him about it tho with an election coming up, doubt that he nor anyone else interested.
Well done Ruth. You bring us back to a public meeting Lammy had with Harringay residents. Can't remember when it was and it has been his only one in our ward since he got elected but, he was asked about his take on betting shops. He said he doesn't use them like them and there needs to be a change in the law, or something like that. Maybe someone else remembers specifics.

Time for one of those petitions?
Yes, a petition would be good. Its not only Green Lanes, this is a national blight. This is the only thing we can do, put pressure on MPs who are, after all, suppose to represent us. We could bombard him with letters and emails. Make him realise he has a duty to us and we are fed up. Maybe will look at web to see what other orgs are fighting the spread of betting shops. They may have petitions and the like on the go already. Then there is the whole thing about school kids being exposed to so much temptation from an early age...
Lammy's 'Contact' form for emailing. Could set up a standard note to Lammy that we're fed up with betting shops and are now looking at a seventh arriving on our doorstep. We don't want a North London Vegas in our neighbourhood. What will he do to stop this?
Good idea to do a standard note then people can just use that and more will then participate in such action. I can help with this if you like. We did this sort of thing in the human rights org that I support. when an action is needed, a standard letter goes out that people merely have to sign and send.
Good idea to do a standard note .... I can help with this if you like. When an action is needed, a standard letter goes out that people merely have to sign and send.

OK. I'll msg you.
In my experience (not that much I must admit but...) when they get 1000 copies of the same letter they just think "1+ letter". I really think you're better off, if you really want to be heard, writing something yourself. Hugh has given the points you can address in a previous posting on this thread.
Yes John, it was Lammy who told us that it helps him with moving on something when there are loads of people writing in about the same issue. Of course he's not going to read the letters. It makes no difference whether the letters are the same or not in content. It's the numbers that matter. Hence the idea of an email blitz
Think I probably agree with Matt on this John - by email or snail, it'll likely be the quantity that counts.

I imagine Lammy will have written to object. I think he did on the last three. So any campaign would probably be best targeted at a change in the law, as Ruth suggests. Ideally there'd bea person championing it.
Sweet Jesus, I like a flutter as much as the next person but this is getting ridiculous!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service