Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

... or, sleeping with the devil. Can't believe planning permission is given for such appalling developments as this. Clearly, if you're not allowed to build up it's OK to dig a hole in the ground! Sited cnr Frobisher & Willoughby Rds N8.

Views: 1630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why didn't they simply build the house to the same height as those around it?

Perhaps to reduce the traffic noise.. A good enough and sensible reason I would have thought.

Something different comes along to ease the monotomy of terraced North London and people are outraged?

Seems so. Whatever next, people going DOWNSTAIRS to a bedroom??

And to matt - the reason to drop the house into a hole is that it doesn't reduce the amenity to neighbouring houses/flats by building something higher than the previous garage, a point made in most of the objections to the planning application. The view from the bedrooms is of a wall, does that matter so much, there is daylight, unlike a bedroom in the HMO next to me which has none.

Whatever next, people going DOWNSTAIRS to a bedroom??

Late 1960s, 1970s council built housing in Haringey often had/still has bedrooms on lower floors, it was a fad back then, at a time when the barriers and perceptions of how to live were changing fast.

Examples: Edgecot Grove, N15; Tiverton Road, N15; the award winning Millicent Fawcett Corset, N17, as well as Highbank Way, N8.

Oh, so it's OK for others to live in the 2 story terraced houses around the property but, not OK for the new house to be built at the same height so, the answer is to sink the new property into a massive hole in the ground. Bizarre! 

Matt, it's still not clear what your objection to, or point is. Nobody inferred that people shouldn't continue to live in their 19th century homes. But don't expect 21st century builds to be the same.

It's very clear Stephen. Gordon finally got it. He and I simply have a different opinion. Maybe you'll take a while longer :)

The back of the neighbouring houses doesn't look too enticing either.

Perhaps that's what Matt's strange title actually meant. 

My only quib would be the colour of the brickwork. Typical for London I know, but doesn't do much for the form of the building. Something darker would IMO have been better. Or the whole house white with black window frames..

Very Bauhaus...   

Of course I'm a Bauhaus fan..

For those fans of Bauhaus, ever in Berlin who would like a hotel/live in the style of the 1920s, then this https://www.urlaubsarchitektur.de/en/tautes-heim/ .  I've visited this house and it's wonderfully restored.. the only compromise has been made in the bathroom. No shower in the 1920s. Part of the Hufeisensiedlung (Horseshoe community) in Berlin-Britz. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Luftbild_Hufeis...

Architect: Bruno Taut

Anyone interested .. My photos of a visit to Bauhaus in Dessau https://www.flickr.com/photos/isarsteve/albums/72157632558725301

Thank you very much for the Tautes Heim link in particular, Stephen. Those glazed stoves  - I had to look three times before I realised what they were. 

They were in all older buildings.. My neighbour still has her original 1904 one in the living room. The ones in the photos are typical 1920s and often replaced earler ones in older buildings.  No open fires here!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service