Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Following his failure to be reselected by the St Ann's Labour party Cllr Haley this afternoon announced his decision to cross the floor and join the Lib Dems.

I imagine that we can therefore expect imminently an announcement that he'll be standing with a different shirt on at the next elections.

I've been told that there's been intense discussion between the centre and the local party about this move.

Views: 560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok. Without trying to help you make your point, help me out here. Where exactly is this? Looked on all the main on line maps and could not find it. Maybe that is why there is nothing on it....?
This road should appear in Google maps, but it doesn't. It should be shown in the middle of this satellite photo but its not up to date.

It runs north to south, roughly between the big gas cylinders in the north to – appropriately enough – Electoral Reform Services in the South. Alternatively, it links Clarendon and Western Roads.

It's little used, as Matt says.

It's probably little used because the access at both ends is poorly signposted and, particularly at the south end, you have to make a left turn whereas the natural inclination is to go straight on.
Thanks- I had a look on the Haringey web site for a map of the borough- http://www.haringey.gov.uk/better_haringey_trail_-_map.pdf. Remarkable, but it does not appear on this either. Is it a bit like some of those Soviet cities that never appeared on maps, or are we trying to make sure that when Iceland invades in retaliation for the council getting their cash back by impoverishing half of the nation they will not know where to send their tanks whilst trying to get to the civic centre ala Citizen Smith?
Open Street Maps (the Wikipedia of the mapping world) usually has the most up-to-date info these days. If you look at the top of this view you can see the road clearly marked. (I notice just to the east that some joker, I assume, has labelled Wood Green High Road, Cheapside High Road. I haven't taken the time to work out how to edit the maps yet so it'l have to stay that way a while).
I'ts a great road, I'd recommend it!

But I only knew it was there because fed-up residents of Hornsey Park Road, waiting in vain for the promised reduction in traffic it was supposed to ensure on their road, were waving signs about it at the Wightman/Turnpike Lane junction a few months back.

Try it sometime - if you are heading north, cross the Wightman/Turnpike Lane junction into H Park Road and then turn left immediately afterwards. Do it slowly - bit of a sharp turn...
It's not a joke. If you look on the buildings above the shopfront/street level, there is a parade called 'Cheapside' and various plaques and crests on buildings. It used to mean 'marketplace.'
Yep Julie's right. It's on the row of shops on the right hand side as you approach Shopping City. Have a look next time you have to pop to Maplins for a gadget...although I think the plaque is further up nearer to the big Green Bookshop
Ya loins sumat evra day. Thanks for the info. Just goes to show the wonder of crowdsourced data! I hope the local traders adopt it more widely.
To be fair to Brian Haley - as I always am - he deserves neither credit nor blame for the new road. As I recall, the original plans for 'Haringey Heartlands' were several years before Cllr Haley became a "cabinet" member, and did not include a "spine road".

Local residents proposed it. They were worried about extra traffic - especially on Hornsey Park Road - and campaigned successfully for an alternative route to be built - before the new homes and businesses were in place. Funding for the road came from the Government. Of course, the recession has slowed the 'Heartlands' initiative. Like Tottenham Hale and so many other redevelopment projects across London and other cities.

Better information and signage are needed to filter traffic onto the road. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Cllr Haley grasped this, and tried to make it happen. Perhaps he'd like to post personally on HoL and tell us?
Yes, as others have said it is actually called Cheapside. This address at the Wood Green Halifax branch shows this. It's for a certain section of the High Rd. Bit like Grand Parade along Green Lanes.
See http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/4858897.Defected_councill... - the latest.

Only today, Brian rang me on my mobile (whilst I was out canvassing) to ask me if we were in touch with Labour to "gang up" up against him. He also said he personally liked me and wishes the Conservatives well in Seven Sisters. Wonder what David S will say to that?

The truth is that Brian used to call me -- as Chairman of Tottenham Conservatives - on a regular basis to leak confidential information to me and aid us in attacking own Labour Council (of which he was a leading member).

He talked endlessly about joining the Conservatives - even asking me if the Candidates' Department ac CCHQ would put him on the approved list to be a Conservative MP. When I told him that he would not get special treatment, he then met with Conservative GLA member Brian Coleman with a huge shopping list, including a senior position on the London Waste Authority. Coleman told him to get last.

I have asked Hayley to delete all my details and not contact me again. The man's a two-faced opportunist who lacks political judgement.

We took the decision two weeks ago not to accept his application if he were to make one and made it clear on Richard Merrin's blog. Who says the Lib Dems are the 'dustbin' party? (-:

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service