Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Claire Kober spotted doing a bit of PR with the press at the Carpet Right site but no sign of any of the local Tottenham ward councillors

She must have forgotten to send them an invitation.

Having spotted this little gathering from my bedroom window I invited myself onto the site and introduced myself to the building director and the several press reporters who were there, along with various Haringey Council staff and their Leader Claire. Don't think Haringey or the Contractors enjoyed what I had to say to them or the press.

I asked why, despite a request by residents, there had been no consultation meeting set up for local residents to air their concerns about the build and the obvious noise pollution and stress it is going to cause to locals who live very close to the site.  Lyn Garner Director of Place & Sustainability couldn't answer me, nor was she even aware that residents had requested a face to face meeting with the council and the developer to express concerns (mainly due to constant breaches in working practices on three other local building developments) 

As usual Haringey put on a PR show about rebuilding Tottenham and completely forget to consult the local population.

Views: 917

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ha ha who can afford M&S?!-I think Carpet Right is more keeping in tone for Tottenham/Wards Corner-no?.. with it hideous graphic identity and constant 50% SALE window poster campaign. Plus come the next round of 'social unrest' it would drive the looters and arsonists up to your end for a change! 

Alan they were all holding shiny time share brochures. How can we get our hands on one?

RE being vermin-ridden, we all know this is true as an uncontested statement was made by a Grainger supporter at that planning committee meeting, as recorded at http://www.haringey.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/81118

at 3h 03m - "The area is blighted by vermin causing concern for residents' well-being"

Don't you just really want to be in their gang? I'm looking hard for issues on which we can agree but I must have the wrong glasses on.

Don't get me started Pam.

Our newly opened Saisbury's Local have stopped stocking Organic milk and refuses to re think their decision. They were throwing too much of it away and could only take large deliveries of it (bonkers logic to this when its a small 'local' store)

Whilst I was explaining to the manager that they got my custom and money because i 'pop' in at least twice a week for Organic milk and then bought a few more items other customers joined me and complained about the Organic milk be withdrawn, I also asked him why they only sold battery farmed chicken, did they think people in Tottenham care about ethical rearing of animals of what get into they milk? The two there customers agreed that think Tottenham folk are poor and don't give a flying **** what we eat. 

How sad and out of touch these people are.

Ive stopped shopping there, and use Nazza for local shopping trips- great choice, value for money, local, family run Turkish supermarket, they treat you well and value your patronage.

I don't think wards corner will ever be solved.

UHT Organic milk has a longer shelf life...

I haven't seen the glossy timeshare brochure. Have you got a copy, Seema?

Usual contempt for local residents even if they happen to be councillors.

Ive started a new post with it on... including the pic VIX is going to frame for her mantlepiece

can't see any pic for my mantel piece? is it a glossy brochure about Pile Drivers?

If the council is serious about regeneration in Tottenham, why not a new library? I've downloaded the 13 MB glossy brochure "A Plan for Tottenham" and there's no reference to any new branch library (just the recording of Marcus Garvey library, that's been around for a while and many know about already).

On page 10 is a depiction of the wall that Graingers propose erecting by Wards Corner (above). There's a token "Seven Sisters Market" label; the token Memory Boxes are not shown here.

The glossy brochure does list "opportunity areas":

• Northumberland Park
  • Tottenham Hale
  • Seven Sisters
  • Upper Lea Valley

I'm a fan of glossy brochures, but in order to be most effective they need to avoid platitudes, otherwise it can be thought of as little more than PR. Commendably, this brochure does not promise to "Secure The Future" as does other council PR.

Why does regeneration always have to take the form of new building? What about a new park for Tottenham, one that is well designed and maintained by the local council, with a pledge by the council not to build over it?

Parks and libraries are often valued by residents and would-be residents; they're not always attracted by proximity of big chain stores ...

"Opportunities" what? Like how to cash in on the property value spike? Leafy Totters might finally make the Evening Standard's property section as the latest property 'hot spot' (no pun intended)

These pictures of the proposed Wards Corner building just show how disastrous architecturally it will be for the area. They make it much clearer just how ORDINARILY UGLY the buildings are and just how much of a sell out the regenartion plans have been.

Even if there is merit in densifying the area around the tube in 7 Sisters we are goinf to ghet a carbuncle that will disfigure our community fro many years to come.

There is still time for both the Council and Grainger to change their plans!

Same goes for Tottenaham HAle plans and gyratory widening of our High Rd into a five lane expressway!

Kober and her cabal have sold us for tuppence! If the plans go ahead it will live after them!

Given that the Grainger plan for Wards Corner is controversial, I was a little surprised that page 10 made such a prominent feature of this inappropriate development. The Grainger block would look in place in the City.

Even if one were a supporter of the Grainger plan, the council managed to choose to cover half of page 10 with the least attractive aspect of it - the high slab side on the corner.

Are they being deliberately provocative, in the same way the "Memory Boxes" appear as a calculated insult to residents?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service