Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Following the 
last tree removal programme in the Ladder in 2008, Haringey Council have issued information about a new tree cull programme. 46 trees in total are due for the chop. Last time round Hewitt Road lost one of its two remaining cherry trees. This time they're back for the very last. Other roads will share similar fates.

Apparently the trees are either dead, diseased or have "outgrown their locations". But, worryingly, this time there's currently no statement about whether replacements will be planted. I'm awaiting a return of call from the officer responsible with an update on the situation.

Sadly, even when we get replacemeents, they tend to be more ornamental style trees. Here's what the 
Trees for Cities organisation has to say about that practice:

As the population of London continues to rise, space for people and trees is becoming increasingly difficult to find. Tree planting trends in recent years have shifted to smaller, shorter lived ornamental species. Whilst these trees still play a vital role in improving the city's environment, they are unable to provide the maximum benefits in climate regulation, air filtration and habitat that larger canopy trees provide. In addition the benefits of tree planting are at their highest when the trees reach maturity and so the longer a tree lives the more it has to contribute.

Below are the trees we're about to lose: 

Allison Road

• Outside 34

Beresford Road

• Between 78/80

• Near 1

• Outside 131

Burgoyne Road

• Between 23/25

Cavendish Road

• Outside 61

• Outside 62

• Between 32/34

• Between 53/55

• Between 82/84

Coningsby Road

• Near 7

Duckett Road

• O/S 42

Effingham Road

• Outside 7

• Between 69/71

Falkland Road

• Outside 58

• Between 77/79

• Outside 74

• Between 108/110

• Between 100/102

Frobisher Road

• Opposite 37

• Side of the Greek church

• Opposite 84

• Outside 52

• Between 86/88

Green Lanes

• Outside 391

Hampden Road

• Outside 5

• Outside the church

• nr the social services building
Hewitt Road

• Outside 74
Lausanne Road

• O/S 65

Lothair Road North

• Outside 77

• O/S 103

• Opposite 99

Mattison Road

• O/S 42

Pemberton Road

• Outside 34

Raleigh Road

• Outside 3

Seymour Road

• Outside 52
  • Outside 10

Sydney Road

• Outside 64

• O/S 38

Tancred Road

• Side of 34 Endymion Road

Warham road

• BT 27/29

Woollaston Road

• Between 3/5

Wightman Road

• Outside 258

• Outside 293

• Outside 140

All enquiries to:

Clare Pappalardo, Senior Arboricultural & Allotments Officer, London Borough of Haringey, 020 8489 5774, 
clare.pappalardo@haringey.gov.uk

Tags for Forum Posts: christmas trees, frobisher stump, street art, trees

Views: 4761

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would follow the group Chris, but it's been set up as a personal profile rater than a page so we can't "like" you, I'm afraid. (Don't let Facebook find out. They'll nuke you. You can convert a personal profile to a page if you want to,)

Doh! Thanks Hugh, fixed that - please try again if you have time.

Two minutes later: That was quick! Thanks again Hugh for the 'Like' - it really helps.

Love this response by Ant to having a tree in his street cut down:

Sigh.

Has the potplant only gone now?  If so that is really amasing!  Reminds me of a man I met outside Sainsbury.  He had loaded his bike with all his shopping and then nipped in to M&S.  I said to him I thought he was really brave.  He said that people weren't that bad.  Maybe, more like that the litefingered people happened to be elsewhere or assumed he was nearby.

Try a cactus next time

This time more firmly attached...

Best of luck Ant!

Very nice  and good luck!

Two months it lasted. Maybe a plastic pot next time so it can't be smashed

Horrible.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service