Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Following the 
last tree removal programme in the Ladder in 2008, Haringey Council have issued information about a new tree cull programme. 46 trees in total are due for the chop. Last time round Hewitt Road lost one of its two remaining cherry trees. This time they're back for the very last. Other roads will share similar fates.

Apparently the trees are either dead, diseased or have "outgrown their locations". But, worryingly, this time there's currently no statement about whether replacements will be planted. I'm awaiting a return of call from the officer responsible with an update on the situation.

Sadly, even when we get replacemeents, they tend to be more ornamental style trees. Here's what the 
Trees for Cities organisation has to say about that practice:

As the population of London continues to rise, space for people and trees is becoming increasingly difficult to find. Tree planting trends in recent years have shifted to smaller, shorter lived ornamental species. Whilst these trees still play a vital role in improving the city's environment, they are unable to provide the maximum benefits in climate regulation, air filtration and habitat that larger canopy trees provide. In addition the benefits of tree planting are at their highest when the trees reach maturity and so the longer a tree lives the more it has to contribute.

Below are the trees we're about to lose: 

Allison Road

• Outside 34

Beresford Road

• Between 78/80

• Near 1

• Outside 131

Burgoyne Road

• Between 23/25

Cavendish Road

• Outside 61

• Outside 62

• Between 32/34

• Between 53/55

• Between 82/84

Coningsby Road

• Near 7

Duckett Road

• O/S 42

Effingham Road

• Outside 7

• Between 69/71

Falkland Road

• Outside 58

• Between 77/79

• Outside 74

• Between 108/110

• Between 100/102

Frobisher Road

• Opposite 37

• Side of the Greek church

• Opposite 84

• Outside 52

• Between 86/88

Green Lanes

• Outside 391

Hampden Road

• Outside 5

• Outside the church

• nr the social services building
Hewitt Road

• Outside 74
Lausanne Road

• O/S 65

Lothair Road North

• Outside 77

• O/S 103

• Opposite 99

Mattison Road

• O/S 42

Pemberton Road

• Outside 34

Raleigh Road

• Outside 3

Seymour Road

• Outside 52
  • Outside 10

Sydney Road

• Outside 64

• O/S 38

Tancred Road

• Side of 34 Endymion Road

Warham road

• BT 27/29

Woollaston Road

• Between 3/5

Wightman Road

• Outside 258

• Outside 293

• Outside 140

All enquiries to:

Clare Pappalardo, Senior Arboricultural & Allotments Officer, London Borough of Haringey, 020 8489 5774, 
clare.pappalardo@haringey.gov.uk

Tags for Forum Posts: christmas trees, frobisher stump, street art, trees

Views: 4762

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The 'sleeping policemen' should be removed, for the traffic going over them is destroying the homes next to them through vibration. Anyone who does not live next to these does not fully understand the problem. If you did, you'd have had them ripped up yesterday. They should go. In their place a system of build-outs;

Directgov - traffic calming. Unfortunately we have a council obsessed with road humps.

I wonder if in years to come local councils will be 'encouraged' by the insurance industry to remove road humps in the same way that they now alledgedly promote getting rid of trees (ie because of their impact on the structural safety of our homes)? Does the insurance industry have a view about this forms of traffic calming?

Good question! I'll google it later.

As I understand it, the owner of land can sometimes be liable for the damage done to neighbouring property by the roots of his trees.  In the case of trees in the street, the owner would normally be the local authority.  If you have a problem with slight cracks appearing in your house and you think tree roots may be the problem, the first step is to make sure that you have formally notified the Council about it (by registered letter).  If it turns out that there is damage, their liability will begin only from when they became aware of it. In response to such a letter they may say that you need to claim on your insurance but I suspect that this is merely because claiming results in a professional survey which would indicate whether tree roots really are the problem. As making an insurance claim for subsidence (even caused by tree roots) can permanently increase the cost of your insurance, it might be better to a get a professional survey and get to the root of the problem (!) before the cracks get bad enough for expensive repairs to be needed.

I do not know whether speed bumps can be treated in the same way but I was certainly very anxious to avoid one being installed outside my house and would have considered legal action to prevent this happening.  Fortunately for me, it didn't.  I guess that as a first step anybody who is experiencing vibration or cracking because of nearby speed bumps should write to the Council formally about it.

Best form of traffic calming is getting people out of their cars and onto foot/bikes/public mass transit. Last time a government seriously tried that? Scratching my head...

When a 20 mph speed limit was agreed for the roads near us - to the west of Down Lane Park - we were told that having speed humps was a condition of securing Transport for London funding. In other words: no humps; no 20pmh limit. The rationale was that, in the absence of enforcement, the humps were needed to discourage speeding. Naturally, I trusted that Haringey officers were accurately giving us the TfL view, the whole view and nothing but the TfL view.

At an earlier stage there had been an unintended experiment which seemed to confirm this. A local "rat-run" was humped to encourage traffic to avoid residential roads and to use Watermead Way - a through route nearby

Inadvertently, streets near the home of a fellow Labour councillor were  left out of the humps programme. These quiet back streets were suddenly full of traffic trying to avoid the humps.

Haringey - 20 mph Zone in Hanbury Road N17

Your moderate words are as always appreciated, Dick. I think the fear though is that they won't be replaced. As I've already said, Liz told me that none of those removed from the bottom of Warham in 2008 were replaced. This just seems like an awful lot of trees in one go and no assurance of replacements being planted.

@ Dick, I hope you don't think I was advocating the wholesale planting of London Planes ten feet from our houses - just that with a policy of only planting small street trees, where will with new big trees come from? Do any new ones get planted whenever there is room?  Not that any tiny patch of open ground doesn't now get 24 Luxury Flats on it within seconds these days.  

There is an active and growing band of residents who have been devotedly protecting and growing our Trees  for decades. swelled after 15 million UK trees were lost in the great storm of 1987 that killed 18 people - 
the worst since 1703.

BBC TV News Report (7minutes)

Trees grow into the wind - these winds came from the opposite prevailing direction.

Recent government cuts make us more needed than ever. 

Anyone (even me) can become a Haringey Tree Warden. The Tree Council provide us with all the training we can eat and underwrite the 
Tree Warden
 scheme, bringing good ideas and bestus together nationwide.

Minimum involvement is five minutes well spent per year. Trees need watering – by rain or by people – about three times a month from April to the end of September (http://www.treecouncil.org.uk/press-and-news/item/3594-survival-of-...)

You might enjoy putting in more time - here are some of us at our annual celebration/teach-in at Kew last Sunday with TV Star Tony Kirkham, Head of the Arboretum:

I'll post details of the next Tree Wardens organisers meeting here but there is at least one Tree Warden near you - to learn more, contact me.

Clare Pappalardo from the Council's tree department called me back today.

She promised that locals will now be given a month's "consultation" time. To that end she's agreed to send me a list of all trees affected in 2012 and the reason for the proposed removal of each tree. She is not in a position at this stage to confirm whether there is currently budget to replace any trees. Nonetheless, to give us some indication of the potential outturn, she's also agreed to my request for a list of all trees removed in 2008 and an update on whether or not they've been replaced.

Thank you for keeping us updated Hugh. I think we all need to keep an eye on what Haringay BC plans to do/does to our trees. OUR TREES.

We have just had a number of trees pruned on Lausanne Road, but even after that had been done they are very large compared to their proximity to the houses.  We have a tree outside our house and if that grows much larger I will be on to the council I am afraid.  The surveyor even mentioned it when we bought the house several years ago.  I think there is a case for removing out sized trees, but equally that they should be replaced with new trees suitable for the location.  Althought the idea of fruit trees is nice I think it could become rather messy and slippery.  To add this danger to already poorly maintained and dangerous pavements doesn't make sense to me.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service