Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

For a few days now I've suspected something was afoot with Turnpike Lane's Banksy; it's been surrounded by scaffolding and tarpaulin since Wednesday - and there was a security van present for much of that time.

This morning I had a sneaky look under said tarpaulin to find it had been removed. I spoke to the guy rendering the wall and he said that after repeated attempts to gouge it out, the owner of the Poundland building had decided to take steps to 'preserve' it. He wasn't sure where it's gone...one can only wonder if it's been sold. Sad to see it go - it was nice to have a landmark of sorts...

Tags for Forum Posts: banksy, street art

Views: 16937

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is my picture with the bunting, taken early on the first day this arrived. Free to all, no copyright!

And another one with the Poundland and spectator.  Photo credit:  keyfeatures

Thank you Ninky!

My pleasure

closeup 

When I saw this, Poundland were actually selling the selfsame identical bunting and it was strung up in the windows, so there was a definite comment going on about the National / monarchist pride and unseen exploitation the other side of the world, as well as Poundland.

The fact that it was a Poundland wall was coincidental: 

From Banksy's website at the time - "I painted this on the side of Poundland in North London. A shop which sells cheap jubilee merchandise, is located on the route of the Olympic torch relay and was caught using sweatshop labour two years ago. But I only discovered any of this afterwards - I just thought it was a nice coloured wall."

A pic I took at the time: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eoghan_mac/7205064340/

BBC NEWS STORY: IT'S FOR SALE IN MIAMI !! with an estimate of £320,000 - £452,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21497261

Tottenham could really have done with that money!

Well hopefully, if our local politicians are on the ball, the government will at least get the capital gains tax. Kiss this goodbye though, there are local businessmen who would sell their mother for £450,000.

The company that owns the property appears to have losses carried forward at 2011 (no accounts yet for 2012).  For a property investment company, the use of property losses (and interest) is quite flexible.  Assuming losses are broadly the same in quantum for tax purposes and there are some still available at the end of 2012 you might find at least part of the gain could be sheltered for 2013...

Not sure about the status of the art dealer who bought the Banksy.

I agree ninky, I think he puts as much thought into location as he does design. No coincidence then that he chose the wall he did - attached to pound land and on the Olympic torch route. Again all adds to the discussion which is what art is all about.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service