Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Those people who wish to buy a poppy this year may like to know that they have them in Stroud Green and Harringay Library.

Picture by Shelley Usher on Instagram

Tags for Forum Posts: poppy appeal, remembrance poppies

Views: 470

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Liz, it just seems more difficult each year to buy a poppy, dont see them openly on sale as they used to be. 

I agree, there aren't the people prepared to sell them on the street as once there were but I did see an older man, apparently in uniform, selling them in Wood Green today. I think it's easier to get them in central London but here in Zone 3 there are far fewer outlets. 

There was a brave and somewhat chilled gentleman outside M&S Muswell Hill today.

Cllr Schmitz, my husband Mark and myself have all been out rattling collection tins and collecting for the poppy appeal at various tube and rail stations in and near Harringay.  Its been freezing but great to be out there collecting for such a great cause.

The British Legion welcomes volunteers who are willing to sell them. This year, I've had a go myself, for the first time, at Turnpike Lane, at Manor House (with Ian Sygrave) and in front of various shops on Green Lanes and at Sainsbury's in Manor House (with my daughter Charlotte). Karen Alexander and her husband Mark have covered the railway stations and I'll be doing the schools later in the week.

Next year, I'll publish contact details in advance so that more people can sign up. I'm delighted to say that people in Harringay are proving very generous.

While I'm writing, I'd like to mention that on Remembrance Sunday, we have local commemorations at our war memorials. The nearest one to us is on Tottenham High Road, by the old town hall and the Bernie Grant Centre. There are also commemorations at Wood Green and at Hornsey. Details are available from the Council's website at

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/mayor_of_haringey_supports_poppy_appeal_...

It would be great if more people from here could attend.

David Schmitz

Thanks David, it's encouraging that people are once more volunteering for this.

I noticed that St Paul's, Harringay are also holding a Remembrance Sunday Service 

One nice thing to report: Many of the children at South Harringay Junior School came up to me unbidden and bought poppies with their pocket money. Also, some of the parents, who are new to our country and who hadn't known about the poppy appeal, proved to be very generous once I explained it to them. It makes you proud!

David

That's really good to hear David. Whatever nationality, we should all remember in some way as every nation has lost too many people due to wars.

The Poppy tradition is unique to this country I believe, a very visual reminder for us all. 

Not so - the poppy is recognised as a symbol of remembrance in France, the United States and Canada, and in many Commonwealth countries such as Australia and New Zealand. 

Sorry John, I didnt realise that. Showing my ignorance there. I'm pleased it's a big thing all over then. Thanks 

I remember that some years ago, the American Legion had a poppy campaign as well. I don't believe that it caught on, however, and the reason for that may be that, unlike its British equivalent, the American Legion has had, at least in some places, a political agenda.

The understated nature of patriotism here, and the near universal support which the British Legion poppy appeal enjoys, are two things about my adopted country that matter a lot to me.

David

Strange, since the Americans seem to be very supportive of their veterans.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service