Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've heard some shocking stories of people having to flee for their lives, just grabbing their kids and running out in their nightclothes taking nothing. Does anyone know what is being done for these poor people, or if a fund has been set up to help them?

Tags for Forum Posts: london troubles

Views: 3981

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not to say they shouldn't be punished if caught of course. Just that it should be both proportionate and in some way helpful to the community rather than costing people even more money.
That isn't to say I disagree with your point - I am ambivalent - because what you say is true - but at the same time, I very must despise the fact that no one will be paying restitution for these damages except insurance companies and then BOOM, everyones' insurance goes up - so the victims of all this destruction just take it on the nose again.

That's not right, either.
I suppose I would rather pay for them to be in jail, than pay for them to be out burning down buildings.

I mean the "answer" cannot be just a big fat nothing.

What will fines do? Eventually land them in jail for not paying anyway (usually) - so it's a situation that needs dealing with.
Yes, it's not easy. I think long term there must be a complete overhaul of both ends of 'crime' and 'punishment' to be more beneficial to society.
Thanks everyone
I have about a car load now so loading up and taking it over at about 6pm
Andy

You've done a great job Andy. 

A great rallying of people around a cause. 

I've just got back from the Community Assistance Centre which has been set up at Tottenham Green Leisure Centre. I took some clothes, food and bedding and then had a look round and spoke to several people. I was told this has been put together incredibly rapidly and it was open and operational by 1pm today. I think the Council and staff deserve real praise for this effort. And so do Haringey residents! There are already loads of donations, and people are obviously determined to support the families and businesses who have lost so much.

I was also very pleased that local businesses have come forward very quickly making donations of food and household goods.

In this the Council is showing real leadership. It is vital we continue to do this for all our communities.

Zena Brabazon

Councillor, St. Ann's Ward

Just got back from Tottenham Green Leisure Centre - donations pouring in, volunteers arriving to help sort etc, Salvation Army there too!
I hope the ones donated earlier at Apex house have found their way there sometime today!

Also at the Leisure Centre is an advice centre which will be open for next 7 days from  9am -7pm. Here is press release from Council

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Haringey residents affected by the disturbances in Tottenham over the weekend are to receive support via a new Community Assistance Centre set up at Tottenham Green Leisure Centre.

Open from 1pm today, the new centre will help local people with a wide range of issues – from emergency housing for residents whose homes were damaged by the disturbances to advice from a team of social workers.

Other support available will come from the Police and voluntary groups – and there will be advice on topics such as insurance claims and legal problems.

The centre will also act as a focal point for the many offers of donations which have been made by both businesses and individuals in the community.

Council Leader Claire Kober said:

“Over the past few days, we’ve had many generous offers of support from local people and firms – while many of our own staff have been working around the clock to help find alternative accommodation for families.

“The new support centre will be somewhere where all of this help will come together under one roof.”

Whether people need help or advice – or would like to make a donation – the number to call is 020 8489 5308.

I have just been speaking with Robert Edmonds of Age UK Haringey. Clearly many older people affected some of who will be frightened and alone. Please be a good neighbour to local older people and make sure they are ok if you can. Issues around the lack of a post office and pensions, lack of access to certain places, foods etc due to unsafe conditions are evident and help may be needed. Age UK is running business as usual right now and more news from them as things develop and strategies put in place. I can act as older person point of reference and will speak to Robert again. 

Dear All
RE: Delivery of donated goods for the Tottenham Burnt out Families Appeal

We had a car load this evening to take over to the Leisure Centre at Philip Lane for the Burnt out Families Appeal

Thanks to everyone who donated today truly brilliant amounts of stuff and really varied from Sarah who bought all new towels blankets sheets tooth brushes and tooth paste at Sainsbury's to Sonia's mens cloths and toys and book for the kids - really good stuff too. We even got a potty thanks Anja and a fantastic travel cot and pram from Sally.
Thanks everyone

Amber and I delivered the full car load at the Crisis Centre and Hugh was their to help us carry it into the collection area and take some snaps of the Centre for Harringay on Line. I look forward to the posting Hugh.

Well done all
On my return home there were some more gifts by people so I will do another run tomorrow if you want to drop more stuff round to me or the Garden thats fine, I will do another run tomorrow evening.

Top Tip:
They were really grateful for the Sainsbury's bags for Life and IKEA bags so people can carry stuff away.

Apparently the collection area closes at 7pm if you are planning on going yourself

We met some amazing people their - people from Hackney and a lady with a broken leg with a rucksack full of stuff to donate

Andy

Hi what is best needed? toiletries (nappies, toothbrushes, sanitary supplies), linens, or are they looking for foodstuffs? We want to send over what is most useful. 

Thanks. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service