Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have been surprised that from about a month ago , the number of birds visiting the various feeders dotted about suddenly declined to about  none. There are still very few about , often go for days witout seeing any. Do they heve better things to do in Summer and give up the easy life and go native??  The hand feeding robins have shipped out which is a particular disappointment. No increase in cat activity but the noisy Magpies might bear some responsibility. Any ideas, I rather miss them ??

Views: 541

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wonderful photos, in particular the second one. Are they yours?   (I’ve moved them to inline. They seem too good to leave them as attachments.)

Hi Hugh, yes, I took them along with many more. Last summer I thought to see whether I could encourage him  ,I assume, to be bold enough to take food from my hand. He did and would regularly then and earlier this year join us in the garden hopping about and sitting on the table with us. Sadly, not any more ,but that is probably nature's way. There were 2 babies which were not too shy but they may have moved on to pastures new, let's see... Regards Tim

We have a similarly “friendly” robin in our garden. We saw him more last year, but he is still around, at least till a couple of days ago. It’s been a funny old summer in the garden in one way and another. The plants aren’t behaving as they normally do. I’ve got a climbing rose that only ever flowers once in May and June that’s turned into a repeat flowerer, another plants that are just very reluctant to flower at all.

I see what you mean (having been absorbed in the blog for the last half hour). Thank you!

It's all really thanks to Liz's mention of her here a few years ago, which took me down a very deep rabbit hole...

In the summer birds are often much less visible than at other times of the year - they usually have other sources of food. In fact its generally recommended to reduce feeding in the summer. However...

They really appreciate water - so one or more shallow bowls (plant trays are ideal) - in cat-safe parts of the garden (or balcony, rooftop) will make sure they don't forget you. Insects (bees especially) also appreciate those shallow bowls of water - a piece of broken tile or terracotta pot in part of the bowl makes it more accessible for small birds.

Starlings were eating me out of house and home in the spring but have disappeared now. But we still have regular visits from various members of the tit family - Blue/Great/Coal/Long-tailed.

Even in the most inauspicious locations feeding and water can attract unusual visitors - there were a pair of grey wagtails nesting on Seven Sisters Road right next to FP station in the spring.

Sadly, blackbirds are almost a rarity in London at the moment - they have been badly hit by a virus.

Same in our garden. Magpies and pigeons yes, but no small bids recently at all. Any explanation?

My understanding is that garden birds moult after their last clutch leave the nest and become independent. This us usually in August. It is possibly later this year because of weather conditions? They hide away while they moult as they are so vulnerable to predation at this time.

Just posing a possible answer! 

We still have quite a few at the moment - mainly blue tits and coal tits. 

I think Saddic is correct in his theory that birds go into moult now which makes them weaker and more vulnerable. Tit flocks will begin to emerge soon as small birds such as blue, great, coal and long tailed tits gather together for safety reasons. I've already seen one or two such flocks passing over the garden. 

The biggest concern is blackbirds which are falling in numbers in London due to the Usutu virus which is spreading across the south-East. The BTO is currently running a survey on blackbirds in the garden which is running until October in response to this alarming news which you can take part in here

It would be a disaster to lose this beautiful bird, so much a part of our culture and urban life. As Seamus Heaney said, 

On the grass when I arrive,
Filling the stillness with life,
But ready to scare off
At the very first wrong move.
In the ivy when I leave.

It’s you, blackbird, I love...

Saddic: that's the best explanation, yes.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service