Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Beautiful mature street tree in Cavendish Road scheduled for removal -- help!

Coming home from yoga tonight, I noticed, with shock, that the beautiful tree outside no. 42 is scheduled for removal.It's the usual: the tree is healthy, but there is, it seems, an insurance issue.  On the sign around the tree, it says that it "has been implicated in damage to an adjacent property". And that "works will commence shortly". No 42 is up for sale, so I imagine this is how this has come up.

I feel devastated by this. I can't let this happen. My younger daughter is in tears. The tree has been there since when we moved into the house opposite, when she was born, and has been an important presence for all of us ever since.

Is the nicest remaining street tree on Cavendish Road (a tall tree was removed not long ago near the top of Cavendish Road, and the site has been paved over, so I think there are no plans to replace it), and tends to be full of birds and birds' nests (though less so this year, as it has been pruned recently).

I've written to the planning department, but I'm not sure how much that is going to help in the face of an insurance company. 

I'm happy to do pretty much whatever it takes to stop this -- any help, advice or support is appreciated.

Tags for Forum Posts: cavendish road, cavendish tree, insurance, protection, tree removal, trees

Views: 2225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have an email with Clare's details.  Very helpful and informative.  If I may say though - the decision to fell trees isn't taken lightly and they will undoubtedly have already looked at the other alternatives.

Clare Pappalardo

Senior Arboricultural and Allotment Officer 

Haringey Council Arboricultural and Allotment Service, 6th Floor Alexandra House, London, N22 7TR

T. 020 8489 5774

Thank you.

Try the number I gave you above. It still works.

PS: Just noticed that Antoinette's given exactly the same number. So worth a try!

She's away until Tuesday. Perhaps I'll just have to wait until then. But I worry about leaving things too late.

It's Bank Holiday weekend so I'd be surprised if they moved on it before Tuesday but here's Zena Brabazon's (Harringay cllr) number: 078126 77710 - give her a call.

Thank you so much! I've left her a voice message. 

And was there another possibly helpful person that you mentioned? Stephen from the Ladder Protection Group? When I google him, I get lots of health and safety advice about ladders...

It's Ian (Sygrave) who is the the chair of the Ladder Community Safety Partnership - email lcsp@blueyonder.co.uk

Thank you -- that's great. Really appreciated.

Hi Maren

Apologies for not getting back to you yet.  I have been busy all day responding to the Wood Green Area Action Plan. I will chase the Council about this - I will write to Simon Farrow in parks as he is the senior manager. I'm not very hopeful about all this if it is an insurance claim but I'll have a go. I don't know if you've been following the tree battles in Sheffield but there people have been tying ribbons round their trees to and demonstrating in order to stop them being removed. But that isn't linked to insurance a far as I know. It might be worth googling Sheffield!

Best wishes

Zena

Zena Brabazon

Cllr, Harringay ward

Dear Zena, thank you so much for getting back to me. I've also written you an email, but wanted to say how much I appreciate you getting involved.

I have now received an answer from Cllr. Adamou. It is fairly brisk and leaves many questions unanswered. However it does confirm my suspicion that the issue is an insurance claim that the Council does not wish to contest.

I have also since found out that the claim was not brought by people living in the property. In fact, the house was repossessed and bought by a company, named Betivo Ltd.

Here is Cllr. Adamou's reply to me:

Hi please see below an email I have received about this issue,

Regards

Cllr. Gina Adamou

Harringay Ward  

Dear Cllrs

This is to inform you that 3 trees are being removed shortly within Harringay Ward  

This tree are subject to insurance claims against the council. 

OS 42 Beresford Road N8

OS 44 Cavendish Road N8

OS 41 Allison Road N8

Based on the available evidence a claim against the Council is likely to succeed on the balance of probabilities The presence of roots and desiccated soil together with the cyclical movement demonstrated by the monitoring data suggests that the Council's implicated tree is contributing towards the damage

Prior to removing these trees, a warning sign will be erected on the tree informing residents that they are  to be removed.

Regards

(The presence of roots, I suppose, would not greatly distinguish it from most other trees in the ward. Or anywhere.)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service