Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Surprised it hasn’t been mentioned on here...

Since the ‘vegas’ circus has come and gone the common is absolutely destroyed. Do we know if the council plan on ‘making good’? It’s a right old mess. Surely any money they’ve made from renting the land has been nullified if they have to spend it all on tidying the land up again?!

im not in the landscape gardening industry, and this is some serious fag packet maths, but I can’t see the council getting much change back from £20k to sort out the mess...

Tags for Forum Posts: duckett's common

Views: 3838

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi John

I can truly say I wasn't around when that plan was implemented. It was a really perverse thing to do, as has been proved. It is top of the list for change with the S106 funding, along with the loo by the cafe. Work on the loo is due to start imminently.

Zena

Cllr, Harringay Ward, Labour Candidate local elections, May 3, 2018

Hopefully “other improvements” might include a few dog waste bins around the park. 

Thanks Zena.

I'm surprised that one of the conditions of the contract wasn’t to have a temporary surface laid for vehicles (those big plastic tiles you see at some events) as lots of rain in March and April isn’t exactly unknown in this country!

Thanks for the investment update Zena. Just a note re the ancient railings on the perimeter; they're a hazard and need replacing. Check out this on streetview and zoom in. Very sharp finishing at top of railings. It maybe cheaper to have them adapted but probably best replaced.

Hi Matt

I think some improvements to the railings may be included but I will check so I am sure! 

I agree completely with the comments about how the site could have been protected. I have many more questions to ask about this which I will be asking!! All contributions from this  discussion helpful. Thanks everyone.

Zena

Zena Brabazon

Cllr, Harringay Ward, Labour Candidate local elections, May 3, 2018

Does this funding include repainting/repairing the fencing/railings around the edge - it's those which give the first impression. I'm happy to help out if there's any volunteering days planned?

Thanks Zena. Please let us know specifically what funding or plans (if any) there are for the railings. As Harringay 4eva says, those railings around Ducketts Common give a first impression, not just of the common but of the borough as well, as it's the centre of it and the impression is one of being rundown, unkept and not caring. This common is part of Harringay ward. Why is it always forgotten about? After popping up from the tube station having been in town for a day (where it's usually very nice) I really find the environs around Turnpike Lane so disappointing and unwelcoming.

Maybe you could look into the monies for community spending coming from the mega development at the top of Hampden Rd?

I haven't seen anything from the Friends of Ducketts Common group for a while. Do they still exist?

Not sure. The last post on their Facebook page seems to have been in 2014 and their website is disabled. Would be a shame if they’ve gone.

Think they do. Every couple of months or so. Lew Taylor of Parks service was often at the meetings. The group had a major focus on the gardening/landscaping side of things.

Oh well, look on the bright side..

It seems that some money will be forthcoming to fix it, I'm enjoying thre cyclocross while it lasts

Finally, there's going to be a toilet - But looking at the toilets in Finsbury and Chestnuts i'll probably be found to be the source of a cholera outbreak in a year or two.

The scrub land is being returned to life - but the north harringay guerrilla gardeners should have seed bombed the area ages ago. Nettles!!!, fantastic for wild life and do tend to keep people off.

and

The Crusty old Europhobe has had the heads up to make sure his clean up is sorted after the chanting at 'Corbynfest' - if we get a dry summer there could be quite a wildebeast style dust cloud drifting down from the white hart lane.  

"Like" to Michael's comment about temporary surface.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service