Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A new cafe bar opened on the corner of Falkland Road on Wednesday. Apparently owned by an Albanian guy, but I've yet to meet him. Anyone visited yet?

Views: 2884

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please don't classify the working men's clubs in this way! I can understand the outside of some clubs do look offputting but not the same as men ogling men and drinking beer illegally.

Some of us on HoL have been trying to entice people into the Langham where they would find a welcome- even women! Carla has been working particularly hard eg. organising a table top sale on Sundays. 

Indeed.

Anyone wanting to know about the Langham, more than happy to go for a drink with you there, eh Ruth?  I'm hoping Bob's found his membership forms as I plan on joining next week.

Yep I'm always happy to take people there for a good pint of ale and very reasonable prices!  I'm sure Bob will find those forms all in good time! 

I didn't classify working men's clubs, I was just saying the new bar/cafe has the exclusive air of a working men's club, when they were indeed for men only. That's good news about the Langham.

What a depressing thread. There's one reason and one reason alone why people don't like this place; because it doesn't fit in with the HOL clique. There are many different establishments along Green Lanes with many different customers, that's what makes Harringay Harringay and not Muswell Hill, Crouch End or Highgate. Shock horror, most Nail bars are full of women, some pubs and bars especially at the basic end of the spectrum are probably more aimed at men, it doesn't really matter does it?

I could moan about the appalling state of Jam in the Jars frontage, but I won't.

Live and let live, so it's not a bloody delicatessen or jazz joint, get over it.

You are obviously not aware or have forgotten about the Athena Palace night club. I didn't live in the area during that time, but it didn't take long for neighbours to fill me in on the hellish experience that was to live through. I want to help ensure there is no precedent for this to happen again.

HoL clique? Wassat??

Bugger, I'm rumbled!

Nonsense, as a woman its intimidating, that is all.  Jam and the Jar is not intimidating at all.

Simple, don't go. There's loads of places that I don't want to go to along Green Lanes. There's no rule that states that all business's must be suitable for everyone from every culture, class and ilk. It's called diversity. Enjoy the places you enjoy and let others do the same.

Alex said; they're not black and white "instances of planning breach". A3 vs A4 is a complex factual assessment, which I don't think you or anybody else has carried out.

Agree. And the fact that Mr Paul Black (if that is his/her real name) has used HOL (for the first time) to attack a new business that has proved very popular tells me his/her motives are very suspect indeed. Jealously gets you no-where 'Mr Black'.

There might be a majority of men frequenting these premises, but it would be unfair to describe the cafe as a 'working men's club' as I have seen women in this cafe on several occasions.

I received this response from the Licensing Manager at Haringey council:

"The premises are not serving alcohol illegally, they have given notice under the Temporary Event provisions (TENs) for the sale of alcohol. This allows them to carry out this activity lawfully while the main application is under consideration."

I then enquired as to when the application for a temporary license was granted and received the following response:

"They have applied for TENs to cover 9th-14th July, 16-21 July and 23-28th July.

We will of course visit to ensure that alcohol is being sold within the times requested and on the days requested only.

Also a temporary event notice is just as the name implies, the applicant gives the Licensing Authority and the Police and now the Environmental Health Officer, NOTICE of their intention to offer licensable activity from a certain place on a specific day or days and specified times.

The process does not allow for public consultation and only the Police or EHO can make representation against a TENs."

Notwithstanding the ludicrousy that legislation allows a business to hold a TENs license prior to being granted an alcohol license (I understand these are the same temporary licenses that outdoor events are given), I accept that the Corner Cafe & Bar has permission to serve alcohol (although they have been serving alcohol during the days when they have not held a TENs license). Again, I have no issue with a cafe and bar per se, I just don't want to see it become an A4 venue through the backdoor.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service