Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Morning all,

We have just found out that Paddy Power wants to open a betting shop in the recently closed pub on Lordship (606 Lordship Lane N22 5JH)  about 5-7 minutes walk from Wood Green tube station. I live locally and am totally outraged as there are already 2 betting shops within 30 seconds walk of that old pub - a William Hill and Ladbrokes.

There is a sign on the door saying Paddy Power has submitted an application under the Gambling Act 2005 and that any representations need to be made in writing to the licensing authorities by 25th March.

I know similar situations have cropped up on Green Lanes and some of you have been active in fighting it - I would like your advice on how to stop this! I am planning writing to local councilors and MPs and will start a petition .

How can it be allowed to have three in such a short stretch of street - the noise and rubbish these places produce is terrible? 

Please sign the petition here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/not-another-betting-shop-on-lord...

Thanks for your support!

Katie 

Tags for Forum Posts: betting, petition, shop

Views: 3052

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This might also be useful- the Gambling Commission's licensing guidance. http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/PDF/GLA4.pdf

Hi Katie,

I'm definitely keen to support opposing the opening of another betting shop there.  I live very close to the site and have to walk down that stretch of street several times of day.  That stretch of pavement is already constantly full or rubbish and (it seems) a bit of a hotspot for antisocial behaviour.  This seems to be caused partly by the two betting shops that are there already.  I have no idea whether those kind of things are enough to oppose the application though..it seems maybe not.  I wasn't a big fan of that pub, but I wish it had stayed open now!

Pippa

Be careful when using petitions and submitting stuff. In many instances a petition counts as one opposing document whereas doing a model for people to send in or modify counts as individual responses. I know it is easier for people to just sign a list but do consider that if you are in it to win it.
Also...who is the landlord? Have "paddy do da" bought the property already? Can you convince some other business concern to invest in it.....?

Hi Katie,

I live on Dunbar Rd and have this pub on the bottom of my street. I'm totally shocked to see that it COULD be a betting shop. It feels like the areas has turned a corner recently and this would be massively detrimental to the community. What we need is a good local pub, not another place to bet. I'm 100% behind you on this and will do whatever I can to help. Petition signed and email to MP sent.

Regards

George

We are desperate for a 'The Gate' style pub as well..!

Has anyone contacted David Lammy directly on this one?

He's not a fan of betting shops, I gather.

Hi Katie

I emailed the council, and had a disappointing but not unsurprising response basically saying they're compelled to approve the application as it stands. I copied in Lynne Featherstone and got the below email back from her. I'll try again emailing the council following her advice, but I thought it might be useful to you too. 

Thanks

Alison

Dear Alison,

RE: Proposed Paddy Power for Lordship Lane

Thank you for copying me into your recent correspondence about the proposal for another Paddy Power on Lordship Lane. I was very concerned to hear that an application has been made for another betting shop in the area – this is an issue I have been made aware of by a number of constituents.

I am particularly concerned about this application given the links to anti-social behaviour that a number of residents have raised.

Having looked at the Council’s response, it seems unfortunately unlikely that the Council will be able to reject the application, given the above. However, given the issue of anti-social and criminal behaviour around the betting shops, if it can be proved that the betting shop is a source of crime or being used to support crime, the Council may be able to reject the application on this basis.

I would strongly advise that the best way to tackle this issue is to make representations to the Council regarding crime that is affecting other existing betting premises in the area or premises that are known to have anti-social behaviour issues attached to it. I will also be submitting concerns about this on behalf of my constituents.

Thank you again for getting in touch. I would be grateful if you could confirm your full address so I am able to add you to our casework system. I hope this information is useful, please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of further assistance in this or any other matter.

Kind regards,

Lynne Featherstone MP

Liberal Democrat Member of Parliament for Hornsey and Wood Green

I am going to email Lynne Featherstone too for what good it will do.  I imagine it will be hard to put together a case for the betting shops which exist already being a cause of / contributing to anti-social behaviour or crime.  Has anyone tried asking the police about this?

She's already aware of the issue and was tweeting about it today. 

Pippa, do contact the two MPs about it, both Lynne Featherstone and David Lammy.

Sadly most agencies' hands are tied by the Gambling Act 2005 that permits objection on three narrow grounds, which grounds would be those that conceivably contradict the "aims" of the Act.

From memory, they are to promote fair gambling (?!); keep children out and to prevent any association with crime.

In practice, these three grounds are all but useless, partly because the overriding aim was the instruction to Licencing Authoriites, "Aim to permit [gambling licence premises applications]".

I would tackle any change-of-use aspect, probably followed by a rear-guard action to obtain a hearing before a committee.

Disclosure:

am a prospective councillor candidate
Highgate Ward | Liberal Democrat Party

Hello all
Thanks again for all the support I have started some discussions on noel park forum as well as on bounds green and there are lots of people ready to fight it there too.
As Clive says we have to object officially in writing - this is the link to the license request someone on Noel Park forum has drafted a letter that we can all use as a template to object http://haringey.gov.uk/index/business/licensing_regulations/licensi...
I will post it here tomorrow we can discuss maybe add some points and then send our objections in bulk before the 25th. We got a leaflet through our door today from the concillors from woodside urging residents to object following a meeting we had with them last week.
We need to contact the Met too to see how many reports of crime/anti-social behaviour we have had along that strip of road - I was planning on doing that tomorrow unless someone else has already done it?
I was going to meet a couple of people wanting to help at Noel Park market (Noel Park school) this Sunday at 11.30 if any of you wish to join - if you message me directly i can send you my mobile number (Clive thanks have yours already).

So... just thinking in terms of next steps:
- Agree on template for letter we can offer to those who just want to print, sign and send.
- Encourage others to object independently and directly
- Contact local police on crime and anti-social behaviour in this area (facts we get to add to letter)
- Understand whether we have grounds under change of use
- submit the petition although i think this is more symbolic than having any actual legal weight in this case
- was going to get some local media covearge (wood green and tottenham journal etc.) get a few stories in local press
- talk to all the shops on that strip of street to encourage them to object
- Contact owners - someone suggested this but i think the pub was repossessed so might be the banks involved now with the owners having no real say

is there anything else I have missed or something here that might not be relevant?
As i said i will post letter template tomorrow - someone on Noel Park forum has done a great job drafting one with loads of facts and references.
Good night all
Katie
From the wisdom of a mis-spent youth it is fairly obvious that the bookmakers absolutely hate to ever have to call the police for anything. They encourage their staff to allow all sorts of anti social behaviour to happen on their premises so they don't notch up any attention from the authorities for being a nuisance.

In that vain I would imagine that a well concerted regular protest outside of every book makers every Saturday would be something they would absolutely hate ...

It also happens that William hill head quarters is in Wood Green (station road, n22).

I reckon it would only take activists in one borough to start this up and others would join ...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service