Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Moved from another thread:

John McMullan  by John McMullan 49 minutes ago

Views: 663

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John, regarding the HOLSG and its aims. The LCSP is a RA where anyone can attend and contribute, there didn't seem to be a hierarchy of power, which was scared of a democratic committee making key decisions.

@Birdy, the LCSP, in the form of Ian Sygrave, is often and very obviously to me consulted in private on matters pertaining to our area. Ian organises the meetings, takes the minutes and runs the meetings and has done for as long as I can remember. This is not an RA.

Okeedokee, I think mebbe it's best not to take pot shots at other RAs. Ian Sygrave puts a lot of time in to trying to make the area better. We should laud him for that. It's likely that most of us have reason to be thankful to him.

@Hugh, I was not having a pop at Ian, merely refuting Birdy's assertion that the LCSP was a democratically run resident's association. I agree with you, as we probably all do, about Ian's contributions and the effect on our lives.

Great. Sorry if I got that wrong J. But I'm glad it's now abundantly clear.

brothels open up in real houses

Will, for the past three years I just knew that HOL was missing a trick or two. What would an online cathouse be like? (Oh no, I knew I shouldn't mention missing cats!)

I agree Ian does most of the work, as it seems in any voluntary group (I am secretary of the PVFC London SG as no one else can be bothered!) but as far as I am aware it is open for all to be part of the process and to be put up for committee positions which gives it credibility. Groups that don't open their doors to a democratic committee lack that credibility. A group that represents it's surroundings should be represented by it's surroundings, if it isn't you leave yourself wide open.

Many of these community 'private meetings' are attended by those who are there democratically, professionally or by their own appointment.

Would it not be better to examine some local models such as the Gardens RA and ask whether it is possible and desirable to replicate what they do. The LCSP handles the crime and grime very well but there is no interest in the social side of an RA as demonstrated so well by the Gardens RA. 

Given the large geographical spread of the Ladder compared to the Gardens and the existence of a number of groups already, would some kind of loose 'federation' of LCSP, Friends of Duckett's/ Fairland, Wightman RD N4/N8, maybe the PSAs of the two schools plus any Neighbourhood watch groups left meeting to compare notes and organise larger scale campaigns work? Just throwing it into the mix, happy to see it analysed and found wanting...

There ya go unity. There ya go. The opportunity of bringing all parts of Harringay together was one of the motivating drivers behind my setting up HoL.
With new fangled things like Twitter, live blogging and video streaming, there is no reason why anyone can't be part of such a meeting even if they are unable to be there in person,...or am I just getting carried away now?
Possibly, possibly not. As you know, I'm all for a big ole UStream or Cover-it-Live knees up and had been hoping to try it for a hustings last year. The time will come.

I would like to have my area taken over by the GRA. We are going to declare ourselves North Harringay (North of NHS) and await Andy's terms. Perfectly happy to support their bogus accident statistics and traffic calming schemes if they will support ours. 

On a serious note, sounds interesting... Parkside Malvern RA and Friends of Finsbury Park too? Why... we could all meet and discuss things on here...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service