Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

First victim of Haringey's icy financial mess; plans for Woodside House put on hold

Statement from Haringey Council website:
Haringey Council has announced that plans for a new civic centre at Woodside House in Wood Green are to be put on hold.

Council Leader Cllr George Meehan said:

"With the current financial situation now having a real impact on local councils, it's right that we review our programmes to make sure that everything is fully focused at this time on essential services for our residents.

"Our top priority is to protect and maintain services for local people.

"That is why we are taking a responsible approach, and reviewing our forward planning and commitments in the light of changing circumstances.

"Local people would never expect us to pay out public money for under-used and expensive buildings, when we could be making better use of them. That is why our policy of saving money by rationalising our use of buildings remains the correct approach in the medium term and long term."

See also this article from the Haringey Independent

Tags for Forum Posts: Woodside House, civic centre, town hall, wood green

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

See this post for background on this story
George, leadership is not about being swayed by every gentle breeze blowing in from Iceland. We dealt with those vikingsons and vikingdottirs over a millenium ago and still we built our palaces, castles and round towers. If we needed your Palace of Woodside two months ago, we need it all the more so now. Just jack up the Council Tax a notch or five and to hell with the whingers and the belated 'responsibility' bit.
And I haven't had my HARINGEY PEOPLE yet this month. I trust that it isn't the latest victim of this hair shirt plus belt & braces era.
Something that really annoys me about this is that I'm not sure what to make of the smug dork from Kensington and Chelsea on TV yesterday saying "well we didn't put any money into Icelandic banks, it was too much of a risk", or something like that. I'm sure you could get all the losses and put them in order and it would be poor+aspirational boroughs at the bottom and rich, smug dorks at the top. Grrrrr. Always let a rich, smug dork look after your money.
Financial uncertainty over Council services - important information for all Haringey's Resident Associations

The Council had up to £37million invested in the collapsed Icelandic bank [see articles below] - with £5m invested only a week ago.

According to the larger article (see bolded bit) this particular Council investment is responsible for the monthly payment of staff wages - which are due to be paid into staff accounts on Wednesday 15th October. Obviously they must be paid, and all the Council's public services also need to be guaranteed.

The Federation have been in touch with the Haringey Trades Union Council about all this and have been informed that on Monday the Council held emergency discussions with trades union reps and reassured them that wages will be paid on time. The Council have also temporarily halted the planned sale of the Civic Centre, stating: "With the current financial situation now having a real impact on local councils, it's right that we review our programmes to make sure that everything is fully focused at this time on essential services for our residents." Many local authorities and other public bodies are affected by the banking crisis, and public sector Unions and local Councils are currently in negotiations with the Government seeking the necessary financial guarantees for public services.

As residents associations we all know the vital importance of ensuring that the Council's front-line jobs and services are fully maintained and protected from the economic crisis.

All RAs will be able to discuss this at our next meeting on Tuesday 11th November. Meanwhile we will keep RAs informed of any developments in this situation. Feel free to pass on this information to your members.

best wishes

Dave Morris
HFRA Secretary

www.haringeyresidents.org

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service