Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Watch your purses and wallets, or Look out! There's a thief about! Part 2

Following John D's reminder to be on your guard at the Arena and confirmation from the LCSP meeting that the cash point scam is being played out on Green Lanes, I had a personal reminder this afternoon to be a little less scatty when out shopping.

I was in Yasar Halim's waiting to be served. A young girl late teens, early twenties, very pretty, well dressed came up beside me. As I handed my bread over, I felt a slight tug at my shopping bag and saw a hand disappear into it, hers. Luckily I was holding my change purse in my hand and had no proper purse with me. I waved the purse at her and snarled, 'Bad luck, my purse is in my hand'.Seeing my face, she must have decided that a hasty exit was the best policy and left pretty sharpish.

If nothing else, it has reminded me about being more careful about the type of bag I use to carry valuables and to keep my wits about me.

Tags for Forum Posts: pickpockets, scam

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What was the reaction of the shop staff, Liz?
Much sympathetic shrugging and 'what can yah do?' smiles. Might have been a different matter if she had succeeded.

This is not a criticism of the shop, but I think people should be aware of it, as at busy times, lots of people crowd around in there and queuing is rather non existent then. So saying, this was 3.15 in the afternoon with few customers so I think, just be aware at any time really.

There's a lot of it about at present it seems...
I have raised the issue with the relevant people.
Is it worth ringing the police? When I went through a spate of getting purse/mobile nicked and witnessing thefts (about 5 times in the same week) I couldnt ring the police everytime, they would think i was making it up. Plus by the time they turn up, the pickpockets have disapeared into the crowd. They always work in crowded places. Green lanes is rich pickings.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service