Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I am reliably told that there used to be a gay/bi bar in Green Lanes (next to the Salisbury?) in the early eighties. Would a gay bar in Harringay take off again? A friend of mine has money to invest and, with Catch22 in Turnpike Like set to close once the lease runs out, I think it could be a starter. Discuss.

Tags for Forum Posts: gay, gay harringay, lgbt

Views: 1131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess meeting a local Tory is not that dissimilar from going to China to see a Panda!
No, no John just enjoys a robust discussion with people who have different views from him...and beer
Justin - I remeber you now. I used to live in Mount Pleasant Road very early eighties whene you were a conservative activist!
Can't have been me, Michael. I was born in 1981...
so why is Catch 22 closing?
Colin Bannon said:
Agree I won't hold hands around here, but then I never hold hands ;o) The only place that I would feel completely comfortable showing public affection outside an gay establishment is on Old Compton St., but that street is a gay establishment (full stop)

if you want to show PDA, you should just do it, so that people get used to it! (i would) i dont think there would be any danger in doing it in Harringay - well, at least during daylight hours? (its pretty dodgy for everybody when it gets late!)
Colin Bannon said:
Agree I won't hold hands around here, but then I never hold hands ;o) The only place that I would feel completely comfortable showing public affection outside an gay establishment is on Old Compton St., but that street is a gay establishment (full stop)
I'm really sorry you feel so threatened, Colin. But you should try to get out more (no pun intended!) How about: Upper Street, Shoreditch, Crouch End, Clapham and pretty much anywhere in the centre of town. I spend a lot of time in these areas, and while it's not a gay scene, there are lots of same sex couples quite at ease, and it's really not an issue. Go live a little!
You know, not so long ago, interracial couples did not feel safe going out together until a whole lot of them started doing it and defied the idiots. Now, people dont bat an eyelid. Go on moony - if you want to see a change, you have to join the revolution! You know you want to! :)
Moonsky said:
I'm a 6 foot, well built, gym going, mouthy perhaps, gay guy and I would not feel safe holding hands in Harringay. I don't feel safe sometimes just sitting on my seat on the No 29 bus so you can imagine how I feel about holding hands. That is not to say that I think most people in the area are violent or homophobic because they are not. However the people in the area who do cause trouble are at the most aggressive end of the scale. Equally I would not hold hands in Kingston either and it is not a violent area. I might hold hands if I felt that in the event of trouble there might be a bobby on the corner to come and sort things out. Sadly that's not the case and therefore I keep my hands to myself.
I think that's just the city isn't it? Doesn't matter if you're gay or straight, built or skinny: there are some rough people out there and there are times that you will feel threatened. London's a brilliant but a violent city. It's all tied up with the difference between rich and poor, and the way that city people leave cheek by jowl with each other.
Hadn't logged on for a while - brilliant discussion. A straight-friendly gay bar would work in my opinion - I often wonder why there isn't one given how gay our area is. Coincidentally i edit a website about gay history in london and am just starting a writing competition on the theme of queer history with chroma the queer literary journal. also i'd love to have an article about H's queer history - anyone want to write it? rates are a bit feeble£50 - but glad to help. hope this isn't considered inapproproately worky use of this forum - apols if so.
Sara
Not at all Sara, the forums are for sharing anything and everything (pretty much). Thanks.
I might knock the decor, but Catch 22 really did have a diverse crowd not just exclusively gay. I went to a gay rock night there that had goths, students and all sorts. Many people, not just gay will be sorry it will close maybe mainly because of it's late licence. I remember when the Irish landlord took it over for a while, he didn't stop it being gay, but the gays still turned up and he was welcoming. He was welcoming in an Irish farmer grunt kinda way (which I grew up with) which added to the charm. Then u go another night and it's dead.

Location is key, as close to a tube station as possible.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service