Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I am reliably told that there used to be a gay/bi bar in Green Lanes (next to the Salisbury?) in the early eighties. Would a gay bar in Harringay take off again? A friend of mine has money to invest and, with Catch22 in Turnpike Like set to close once the lease runs out, I think it could be a starter. Discuss.

Tags for Forum Posts: gay, gay harringay, lgbt

Views: 1131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Was it? I think there's some info on the Manor House somewhere, probably in the history group.
Regaring the MH pub... have you seen the comments here?

http://www.harringayonline.com/photo/photo/show?id=844301%3APhoto%3...
Changed the title especially for you, Liz. (-: X
Thank you, you still owe me a drink I'm sure, but this title change will do instead
I remember the place in Manor House was called the Rainbow Room and was around for a few weeks after I first came to live in London.

On the question of a new venue - that would be great. Personally, I'm a bit to old and jaded for an exclusively gay place but I would mind one where straight people were made to feel welcome too (so long as they behave themselves of course).
I'd forgotten it was called the Rainbow rooms..

Regarding hetero friendly gay places..

Look here on my blog. The photos are not too good, but if you click on the second one. You might just be able to see........ :o)
Going to Canada on Thursday for two weeks - will do when I return. Where shall we go?
Garden ladder, Salisbury? John McM wants to come too Drop me a line when you get back on my page...enjoy canada, I'd love to go there.
The Salisbury is open later.....
Salisbury it is, then in a couple of weeks when Justin is back from gadding about in Canada.
Well I never - the Manor House of all places. Went in there in the mid nineties and it was a God-forsaken hole! Sorry to hear about you friend, Stephen. Hope the killer (s) were caught? Have people been homophobically -- is that a word?- attacked in Green Lanes? Would people today feel safe hold hands with a same sex partner?
We've lived on the Ladder since the early eighties as an openly gay couple and (after a bit of initial sniffing) have always been recognised as a couple by our neighbours (initally Greek Cypriot).

Infact the only homophobic incident we've had to deal with was Halloween about three years ago when a charming young woman (about 14) threw an egg at our door after shouting "queers" through the letterbox. I went out and was surrounded by neighbours who were tracking her down the street. I got to her house and her mum and dad were furious with her.

Stephen - I remember hearing about the murder. I'm sorry to hear it was a friend of yours. Did the culprits get caught?

On the holding hands issue - no, I don't feel confortable about it in this area. Maybe it's just me.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service