Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Friends of Finsbury Park are revisiting our events policy.One of the questions we need to answer is whether or not we support religious events in the Park. The old byelaw against preaching and singing hymns has gone but some people strongly believe the Park should be a secular space.
My opinion is that if people want to get together to worship their god that's fine but promotional events are not fine.
We're also discussing this at our meeting this Sunday (2:00pm at the art hut, by the Finsbury Gate, if you're interested).

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury, park, religion

Views: 206

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

“When was the last time an atheist ever did anything that infringed on the liberty of others? (don't give me the dictators speech either, neither Stalin nor Hitler were atheists)” – Here, now, on this very thread amongst others.

We’ll agree to differ as you are obviously fired up over this one. I do think it shows intolerance to something that you don’t agree with, I’m sorry we can’t pick and chose what sections of society we want to accept as equal. It’s all very fashionable and convenient to slate religion for wrongdoings in the world.

I am not religious, as I have stated but who am I to deny someone a right, because I may think Rumplestiltskin has more credibility.

I hope the End Child Poverty march goes okay, partly supported by religious organisations!
Fired up? No, not now. My atheism carries with it as much intellectual challenge as any belief, because I believe in 'no god' does not mean I do not have beliefs.
How have I or the other person who expressed atheist views infringed on the rights of anyone? By expressing my opinion? Do I then not have a right to state I do not believe? Am I merely being fashionable to proclaim publicly my beliefs? Is that fair?
I suggested that I personally would want no 'ole time religion interfering with my enjoyment of the park which was the point of the thread, to canvass opinion, but this being a democracy I will have to respect the views of the many, but I do repeat the logical conclusion that you must allow all or nothing. So if I and my fellow atheist John have a picnic under the banner, 'there is no god' do you imagine we will be left in peace to enjoy our sarnies and sing-along?
I have blamed no religion for any wrongdoings, merely stated that I do not believe. Many religious groups work hard for those in more need...I do not have to believe in their god to appreciate that.
And that really is all I am going to say on this...
I actually find “intellectual” atheists more intolerant and vocal than some religious fanatics. This discussion is not about whether religion is accurate or not, this thread is about freedom and whether religious groups should be able to use FP.

I have no objection to a humanist or atheist shindig at FP either.

Our diverse community has a massive mix of culture and with that comes numerous religions.

You have your right to your opinion and so do others, whether that is political or religious and you have your right to express that, as do others.

I have learnt a lot on this thread.

Pope in the park .... joy be to all, including the rats of Finsbury Park pond.
I miss comedians like Dave Alan and his pope-mobil jokes, nobody makes jokes about religion anymore do they? All too frightened incase they get decapitated while strolling thru the park listening to gods birds in the trees.

It's all so simple isn't it
On papal visits over the past thirty years (certainly to Ireland, Australia and, I think, Liverpool) it hasn't been 'Pope in the Park' so much as Pope at the Racecourse. Very shrewd - however infallible one's belief, an each-way bet may be advisable.
LOL. Think I might short sell on that bet. :)
I don’t think or suggest for one minute that it should be a speaker’s corner for every religious sect in London; we have outside Wood Green library for that (for you Ruth). I merely suggested that organised and vetted religious groups with no history of extremism should be allowed to use this communal space.

There is scientific proof that many alternative medicines are useless, but it doesn’t stop us middle classes from buying bucket loads of bee shit remedy, because it makes people feel good.
Who's going to vet these 'approved' religious groups? When you say "no history of extremism" does that mean none at all? Or none in the past 20 years? Or 1000 years?
I merely suggested that organised and vetted religious groups with no history of extremism should be allowed to use this communal space.

Well, I seemed to have missed this comment.. when was it written?

I just don't think it wouldn't be possible to pick and choose.. Either none or all.. and you know what I'd prefer.

The comments about the Germans, well not worth mentioning.. But wheat beer... there are parts of Germany where only wheat beer is drunk.. I only ever drink wheat beer.. :o) cheers!
Berlin, Beer & Brezel .....Bundeskankleramt
Just on a small point: You do like going on about the 'middle classes' Birdy. Are you not criticizing yourself?

Matt (probably un-class-ifiable to statisticians!)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service