Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Today Liz & I met with Brian Ellick, interim team leader for the street enforcement wardens. Appointed to post just under four months ago, I started a dialogue with him about two months ago. He agreed to meet following several months of agitation on this site about estate agents' signs on Green Lanes.

The meeting was postive. In summary:

• About a month ago he and his team undertook a detailed survey of signs in Green Lanes and the surrounding roads in Harringay.
  • There is now a plan to remove all illegal signs in conunction with planning enforcement, health & safety & trading standards.
  • Initially the approach will be by seeking the companies coo-operation.
  • Failing that enforcement action will be taken

I liked Brian and I believe he means to achieve what he says he will. But, as ever the proof of the pudding will be etc. And, of course he has to be confirmed in his interim role!

In reply to my question on when we might start to see some results of his actions, he agreed that we could be in touch again in 28 days at which time he'd update me.

Let's be positive and see what happens.

Tags for Forum Posts: estate agents, estate agents signs, signs

Views: 229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hugh's posting above in March 2009 gave this link to a page on the Council's website.

Based on the information you post, I'd strongly suggest you contact the Planning Enforcement team on the number given: 020 8489 8236. I'd advise against removing the sign. But by all means take a photo and post it on HoL.

If you speak to Wilkinson Byrne again, you might mention HoL. And bear in mind my points above - especially (4) and (8). They're entitled to run their business and represent clients. Their website says they are a "lively and enthusiastic independent firm". So let's expect the best, and encourage them to be alive to the feelings of neighbours and enthusiastic about building up goodwill and a good reputation among the local community for operating within the rules.

If you get nowhere then contact your local ward councillors.

Tottenham Hale ward councillor)
Wilkinson Byrne grudgingly agreed to remove the sign and it was taken down on Saturday morning. That's great, but it shouldn't have been there in the first place, and their attitude towards either planning regulations or me sucks. This is their final response to my requests for the board to be removed

"Mr Waters,

How very tiring and very very boring. We have ordered the board to be
removed because we don't want you hurting yourself whilst attempting to
remove it.

Hopefully this will now put a stop to your sleepless nights and fretting.

Good in your search for happiness.

Many thanks."
Complain to trading standards
I'd say that the employee who wrote that silly and insulting email (letter?) hasn't yet got the hang of either customer relations or social media on the internet.

Can I suggest re-contacting them asking for contact details of the partners or directors. The firm is also a member of The Property Ombudsman scheme. (Which used to be called "The Ombudsman for Estate Agents") They may be interested to hear from you.
B****y H***l - unreal. Perhaps, on top of what's been suggested above, we can do our best to let as many people as possible know. I'm starting with:

Ach, they were never going to advertise on HoL anyway!

I think it might be nice if you were to reply (attaching their letter ) saying

" Thank you so much for your amusing letter. I thought your concern so touching that I have taken the liberty of posting it on our local Harringay internet forum to share it with our 3000-odd members, many of whom will be looking for an estate agent at some time either now, or in the future "
Ha! yes, thanks John. I'll do just that!
Nice work Hugh! Thanks
what utter c**ts!!! I suggest quite a few of us do what I accidentally did to Paul Simon last week, another lot that's been uncooperative: I contacted them on their web-site to ask them to come round for a valuation, and when the man called back I had to tell him I had not been thinking when I filled the online form in, and would actually rather not give them my business. When they asked why I told them what I thought of them and their signs, and that was it. Got the message across.

Danzigger, was this the Turnpike Lane branch? Let's get 'em! Best way to get to talk to them.
Also send the letter to the local paper, go on!
That's outrageous. I got a very similar (but unfortunately not recorded) reaction from Paul Simon in relation to a "to let" sign opposite me - a sort of bemused annoyance that I found something so trivial worth bothering them about - why couldn't I just put up with it like everyone else. After about 3 calls it did get taken down.

I just don't think they get it really - so I love the various suggestions about tweets etc. As for whoever wrote the letter/email - what a cocky pillock, hope they get taken down a peg or two.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service