Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This website contains no traditional advertising. Ever wondered who funded it? Well a few members have stumped up for the costs so far. Recently some of us decided that we'd accept advertising for a trial period from "local" businesses.

I think accepting money from advertisers is a mistake. I would prefer that the funding continues to come from philanthropic site members. I think advertising on here should take the form of blog and forum posts as it does at the moment and that we accept no money for this.

What do others think?

Tags for Forum Posts: advertising, funding

Views: 125

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

How much are the costs ? I would be happy to contribute but obviously depends how much you need.
I was under the impression that this had been sorted?

I am fully in favour of a trial period which would be beneficial to all, us and the selected local advertisers.

I hope I am not speaking out of turn when I say that it costs 300-500 quid per year.
I was the person who lost the vote so now I am throwing my toys out of the cot and starting a forum discussion about it. The more I think about it the more I think this is wrong, I'm just curious to see what others think. After all, I could be completely mad.
As I've said before, the 'standard' ning/Google advertising is painless, pays some of the costs (£20 or $20 per month, I think?) and doesn't compromise any 'editorial independence'. I just ignore those adverts anyway, as I do on just about every internet site I visit. It won't cover all the costs but I think it increases the site sustainability as it doesn't require anybody to manage it. All local advertisers will require effort on our part and will likely come with strings attached.
I agree but strings that we have control over, not the companies. They will have to pay up front and acknowledge that this is an open public forum and do not want to control it’s content too much. A contract to this effect would have to be signed before hand.

Can I also add that they can purchase a design from yours truly at an extra cost (minimal), which will be put into the HOL kitty as well?

The effort obtaining advertising when running would be very little and assigned to people other than work monsters Hugh and Liz.

I really think this is more community support than advertising in the traditional sense. They support us; we support them, at a cost : )
... and do not want to control it’s content too much.

Arh, let's say .... 'not control site content except under normal rules of the site'.

Criticism of service of an advertiser by members must still be allowed if it's warranted and done in good taste (language) I'd suggest.
I believe a certain well known and liked local shop on Green Lanes is keen to advertise on HoL. I have no problem with this as long as the Navs all see the deal in writing, including payment. Only a handful of advertisers should be needed to cover the £120 charge per year (as I was told it). Too many ads would spoil the look of this small community site. That's my 2 pence worth.
ooh... I've been away and I missed the vote, what happened? Was it between advertising and chipping in by residents? If so I'm for chippin in
When we had this funding discussion a while back with a signpost to the PayPal button, very few people actually went ahead and contributed to the site. In the end I think there were roughly 16 people who put about a 10er (although some angels were much more generous) which covered Hugh's costs up to that point give or take a few dollars, hence the £120. The removal of ads which made the site look a little shoddy with its adverts for the Shelton hotel etc pushed costs up as did other things. So as it stands the figure B2 quotes is about right and you would have thought quite easy to raise but...
It's about sustainability and having a dependable source of income. Ads at least would guarantee funds to pay costs. Yes there are some very generous people and they have helped alot but what about if they move away or drop out of the network for some reason. How do we replace their generosity?
Can you just put the button back and we have another try. I find when asking for money it pays to be persistent.
It never went away, it is on the site all the time here

So now Anonymous Philanthropist person reading this post and thinking if only there was a PayPal button I'd see them right, just click through :)
Oh no - not Paypal. Too many horror stories. As a confirmed Luddite, I will not put my bank details through my computer, what with Trojans capturing the keystrokes etc. But I'm happy to drop a tenner through Hugh's door.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service