Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Spotted five in the house so far this year - and have killed them all.

No1 - spectacularly slain using Yellow Pages
No2 - clubbed to death with glasses case
No3 - stomped into hall carpet
No4 - stomped into kitchen floor
No5 - clubbed to death with plastic bottle

Can anyone in Harringay beat my average?
Alternatively, can anyone else tell me an effective way to stop these horrible things getting into the house?

Tags for Forum Posts: cockroaches, pests

Views: 293

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

EWWWWW! I had the council in to spray a few times, and it seems to have worked. Getting rid of the roach-infested HMO next door helped too..

Cockroach spray seems to work, spray in corners, where you think they may come in, around skirting boards etc. seems to have worked in my house, have not seen one for a few years.

The big lazy ones are orientals, the little fast ones are Germans. How sad is it to know this?
The ones they have on the floor in Yasser Halim are orientals. Seen them?
I thought that was olive bread not cockroach bread?

Had them a few times, used spray and stick traps, always seemed to work. Never like doing it but if you don't control them, they will take over. Even saw loads of infants causing a ruck!
Because we mostly live in terraces they treat one terrace as one place to roam. Whenever I've found any in the kitchen (none for ages now) I've taken great pleasure in bashing them.
Karen, you're dead right. The problem is, as John pointed out, we live in terraces, and unless your neighbours are spraying too, they'll come back.
I use.....

"Strikeback Insect Killing Spray A Professional Product Now Approved for Amateur Use - Kills Ants, Bed Bugs, Cockroaches, Fleas, Flies and Many Other Insect Pests."

Available from Robery Dyas for about £4.

Works as well as the Council who charge over £100. Just have a good spray every time you see one. Then have another spray when you don't see one.
We didn't have them until a couple of years ago when work was done to a house two doors down. It seemed to upset the roaches there (it was a complete tip) and encourage them to move to pastures new and now everyone one along my end of the road has them

The previous posters are right, you can get rid of the temporarily but they move back in - and having a cat doesn't help. Instead of ruthlessly chasing them, mine seems to find it mildly amusing to watch them run around the kitchen floor.
Lucky you, My cat used to bite their heads off and bring me half a body as a present!
Anette you're lucky to have a fast cat.

I've heard of cats that are too fat and lazy to get up and give a mouse a run for their money. The generally over-fed cat population in these Isles is blamed for the increase in the mouse population. In this regard, I could certainly use a greased-lightning pussy here ...
2008 cockroach report update....

No1 - spectacularly slain using Yellow Pages
No2 - clubbed to death with glasses case
No3 - stomped into hall carpet
No4 - stomped into kitchen floor
No5 - clubbed to death with plastic bottle
No6 - found dead of unknown causes on kitchen floor
No7 - squished with can of paint
I was under the impression you should never squash them as it could potentially spread the eggs exacerbating the problem?

I haven't had any in our new house but I use to chase them and chuck a plastic dish over them, take them outside and fling them to the back of the garden for general fodder to the other inhabitants.
We've had Roaches for ages due to two different sets of neighbours reburbing the same house time & again & it just seems to disturb them. Now everytime I get indoors from a night out, the littles b*****ds are everywhere lookig at me and at times, trying to fight at my feet???

As Anette stated buy spray or, you could even buy some sticky pads to trap them. They do work but the worst thing to do is to club/stamp them onto your floor due to reasons stated by Karen*.
we de-clutter everything. bottom cupboards have nothing in them. seems to deter them as they dont like open spaces (i think).

pest free so far this winter! amazing, seeing as we have students living on one side!

i hope i havnt spoken too soon....

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service