Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

When we first moved into our house, we found a Kelly's post office directory from 1935 in the attic which I unearthed again today. It lists all the addresses in the then Hornsey borough and who was the head of household.

Our house was occupied by Arthur Jackson for instance. What is also fascinating is that there was a synagogue on Wightman Road (the current church opposite the mosque) and a lot of residents with German or jewish names living on the ladder (remember, this was 1935).

The unfortunate resident of 26 Priory Gardens N6 was one Mrs Hitler, who I'm sure changed her name by 1939.

If you want to know who lived in your house or anyother address in 1935, just let me know.

Tags for Forum Posts: history of harringay, who lived in your house

Views: 3990

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a fascinating discussion. I'd be very interested to know who lived at 53 Frobisher Road.

Robin
George Saunders.

Down at the Green Lanes end (111a) you had Wade, Russell & Co cabinet makers and no. 90 was then grandly named The Premier Electric Cinema managed by A Bainbridge.

The school caretaker at no.20 was Leonard Grandee then. Wonder if any of the etchings on the brickwork of the school along The Passage mention him?
Michael,
Who lived at 57, Chesterfield Gardens at that time?
I've lived there since mid-1997 myself.
Thanks!
Peter Miles
Tottenham side of Green Lanes I'm afraid so not in the book. Sorry.
You have still haven't answer my question because i could not findwho lived in 36 Hewitt Road in 1935
michael

you now have a job for life! 6 vale road next on your list. Have already looked at early census end of Victorian bit & really interesting.

thanks john
Sorry - another Totteham Borough road so not covered by the book
A Mr Charles Groom. Shame you didn't live at no. 45 which was occupied by the wonderfully named Mrs Piglighting.
I've been having a look at the Wightman Road houses and in 1935 there were houses between Fairfax and Falkland, where the open space is now. Where did they go? Wartime bombing? Anyone have any clues?
It was a V2 Rocket. There is a picture of the aftermath on here somewhere.
Yes, there were 20-25 homes wiped out by that one bomb. A few nissan huts replaced them after the war but, I'm not sure for how long they were there before the land was handed over as a community space.
I knew two kids who lived in those 'prefabs' (not Nissen huts), one(kid) on Effingham and one on Fairfax. Those prefabs were demolished in summer 1960, like the ones on Warwick Gardens (where I lived). The prefabs on Ritches Road, Woodlands Park Road and West Green Road (Green and Willow Walk) lasted further into the 1960s, with the last (Ritches Road) going about 1969.

and BTW, I think it was a V1 and not a V2.. I'm not sure which was more deadly, the V1s or V2s. The whole story of which is very interesting.. e.g. the V1s were developed by the 'Army' (Wehrmacht) and the V2s were developed by the 'Air Force' (Luftwaffe) and there was much competition between the two.

Two clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e33qdkhNTPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULNDQd809ag&feature=related

But don't believe all you hear, some things are inaccurate.. e.g. V weapon Vergeltungswaffe (Revenge Weapon) not 'Miracle Weapon'

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service