Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Does anyone else get gangs of men hanging around outside their houses drinking and eating?
I don't know if this is some kind of cultural thing, but I have noted lots of east European men (not teenagers) lurking around having loud conversations while sitting on people's front walls in the 'Gay. It is threatening and they leave litter.
Has anyone else had this happen to them and how do you get them to go away without starting a neighbourhood feud?
Jesus, Harringay makes you NIMBY.

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It think the last time I heard the word "la-de-da" was in "Consider yourself one of us" from the wonderful musical "Oliver!"
I'm not sure we're getting very far now with this discussion and I don't want to go too far down the negative route. The problems are there and we clearly have different views on the solutions and how we would like to see Harringay develop given that we have made a committment to live here, we clearly feel passionate about the issues or we wouldn't have joined in and we should therefore claim a stake in how the community is shaped. There have been some positive suggestions about bins, a frank and healthy exchange on the meaning of choice and resposibility in public spaces and differing views on the impact of drinking on the community.
Perhaps we all ought to get ourselves over to the vision for Harringay thread now, which Hugh posted a link to up above and say 'I'm in'
Birdy, I don't understand how you can read an it's OK for me but not for you attitude into what I have said. It is not what I have said at all. I tend to practice as I preach btw.
I don't go out, get pi**ed, intimidate people and vomit in their front gardens. That is not ok. I'm not saying that's what you do though, so we're clear on that.
The difference between the summer party drinks and drinking on the bus is obvious. It's the setting, the surroundings, drinks in the park, at a party is generally not intimidating or threatening to other people.
As I said before, some people find alcohol on public transport uncomfortable, as they do not know the individual consuming the alcohol, and so not not know what he/she will potentially do. So why put others in that situation?
If I had been sat on my own with a few bottles on wine at the Fairfax open space I can understand if people found me a bit odd, frightening perhaps. As I would be out of context. See? That's my point.
Ditto Mrs E, getting back on to the actual bins I've just been walking along Green Lanes looking at the bins (for the first time in my life) and dont you think the design of them is just not practical for our part of GL. They may be ok for the Crouch Enders but we need specific Green Lane stylie bins. Preferably very large with a larger gap inwhich to put your hand to place the rubbish. Having never had a takeaway from Zams, I imagine that their boxes are probably quite large and you would have great difficulty stuffing a box in such a gap without letting your hands and most of your arm touch the sides, those bins are pretty discusting.
so how about a campaign to get larger more user friendly bins, meanwhile a group of HoLers spend a few hours one busy saturday afternoon with their kids (or maximum guilt )and pick up peoples rubbish for them and get the kids sweeping the road. Rather than it be an aggressive attack on litter droppers it could be a humourous way of getting the council to realise the problem we have with the blinkin rubbish
Ruth, I'm afraid your points are being buried in this discussion a bit, so I've re posted your comments above in a new thread on bins here

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service