Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

"Police have been fitting homes in Harringay with free security locks after a rise in burglaries in the area.

The Ladder in Harringay is the worst area in the borough for burglaries and in 70 per cent of cases, criminals are forcing open front doors with weak locks.

Sergeant Ian Pyles from Harringay's Safer Neighbourhood Team has decided it is time to take action and has been fitting free Chubb security locks to vulnerable houses."

more on this here

Tags for Forum Posts: burglary, policing, security

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good for them. Hope they send the bills to the landlords.
Would not to much good for "my" HMO, someone there keeps leaving the front door wide open. This is what increases the statistics, that and the fact that it's a HMO, counts as 4 burglaries instead of one for a house, I believe.
This in turn increases our home insurance premiums. Yippeee!
Well done to the SNT for trying to sort this out though.
I think (and I am ready to stand corrected) I remember from an LCSP meeting where this initiative was discussed that the police recognise the problem of shared front doors (and the lack of attention given to closing them) and that they can install one of those thingummys which push the door closed behind you, like you get in public buildings. (sorry for all the technical language)
As to the landlords, if they gave a toss they would have fitted this stuff in their own interests. but they are mainly interested in jamming as many people as possible into substandard housing, poorly maintained and poorly secured, and making as much money out of the borough's housing crisis as they can.
The SNT are to be applauded for doing their best to help people secure their properties and, moreover, by exposing and acting on the scandal of illegal meters in HMOs, no doubt saving their lives.
Would this be number 76 again Annette, We have automatic door closers as well and could try to get them to fit one.
How did you guess..? :D
Yes it is. Good idea, go for it!
The stats aren't bad just because of HMOs. They're bad because burglaries are rife full stop - and all in houses in my immediate area. It's surely more symptomatic of the changing profile of the area which which must attract an increase in break ins, muggings etc...
Those statistics were flawed. There is a very high ratio of residential real estate compared to commercial real-estate in Harringay. Adjusting for how they have bizzarely split the statistics into commercial and residential burglaries goes some way to explaining how we ended up at the top of the stats. Those shops in Green Lanes are commercial but hardly burgled due to how they are run (24/7 in some cases). Some of us leave our houses empty all day and go to work and as you can see from the stats, we're predominantly houses and these stats are bogus.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service